What to do with the old stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after you change your own oil, or tranny fluid, or flush your brakes, what do you do with the 4+ quarts of fluid?

I figure that you'd just take it to the local oil change shop, etc... but they'd want to charge for disposal, right?

What is the best thing to do with this stuff?

(I'm located in Calgary, AB, Canada...)

Here in the States the national chain auto parts stores (Autozone, O'Reilly, Advance, etc) will take up to 5 gallons for free. And many municipalities have an annual hazardous material drive where they take pretty much anything you want to get rid of safely.

Here in the States, many of the national auto parts chains will accept used oil at no charge and recycle it. They have large tanks in their stock room area where you can dump your old fluids (no coolant, though).

Some states mandate that certain repair shops must accept used oil and similar. They have a list of authorized shops where people can take their fluids.

Beyond that, some communities have recycling centers that will accept oil, fluids and things like batteries and tires. If they don't they probably know where you can take them.

My advice is to stop in a couple repair shops and auto parts stores and ask. If you have a recycling center, check in with them as well.

Find a shop that has a waste oil burner. They will thank you for your contribution to their personal efforts at energy independence. Here, allegedly, they're supposed to limit their waste oil usage to that which they collect in house.

>Here in the States the national chain auto parts stores (Autozone, O'Reilly, Advance, etc) will take up to 5 gallons for free.

That varies from store to store.

The Advance Auto near me will only take 5 QUARTS. If your car takes 6 quarts, well... I guess you just drink the rest.

As for Autozone, their waste drum seems to always be full whenever I try to get rid of oil there.

Wal-Mart will simply not take it.

I've never tried O'Reilly's.

I take 2 5qt jugs every other month to Advance Auto. Sometime's its a oil cocktail, little tranny fluid with some oil hold a little brake fluid. Probably shouldn't but they've never said anything.

Oil disposal policies vary by state. I just dropped off 17 gallons at my neighborhood Advance yesterday. I had been saving them in the hope of filtering the oil and either reusing it in my Honda or disposing of it a quart or so at time in a diesel. Seeing as I just can't afford to get a diesel right now even though I desperatley need one, I gave in and disposed of it. Try a search for "Off Car Filtering" in the oil filter forum for more on that. This topic comes up once a month or so.

You can use it in a waste oil heater. Search the net for blueprints.

Canadian Tire will take used oil and filters for free. Not all will take tranny fluid or brake fluid though, best to call ahead and check.

Didn't see this the first time I looked. Was a quick search once I posted my question though.
smile.gif

Calgary hazardous waste disposal

Just this past weekend, my neighbor and I were chatting and he told me he burns his in his truck. He's an independent trucker and pours his used oil into his fuel tank about two gallons at a time. He said he's noticed no power changes, but his fuel mileage does drop a little bit when he burns oil.

My county landfill will take it for free. I've never actually been there, though, my dad has a ~1000 gallon tank set up for waste oil (farm shop)
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GreeCguy:
Just this past weekend, my neighbor and I were chatting and he told me he burns his in his truck. He's an independent trucker and pours his used oil into his fuel tank about two gallons at a time. He said he's noticed no power changes, but his fuel mileage does drop a little bit when he burns oil.

that sure is good for the environment
nono.gif

Some diesel trucks are set up to automatically burn a portion of their engine oil. The trucker is not a moron at all for replicating the same, using his fuel tank instead of an automated system.

Its a relatively environmentally friendly way of disposing of used motor oil if the engine mechanically can tolerate the oil. Some pumps, filters, and injection systems are less tolerant than others.

When I had oil heat, I poured about a gallon or two a month in with the home heating oil during the winter months. I poured it thru a mesh filter and into the 500 gallon oil tank it went, never had a problem. I burnt waste oil only.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back