what to do with old gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm asking a lot of questions lately, but i've got a lot of projects going. thanks to this great community for all of the help and suggestions. on to the question:

i'm about to generate a bunch of old gas. to make a long story short, i've had a waverunner sitting for over 3 years, and i want to siphon out the old fuel and put fresh fuel in the tank before i start it.

any suggestions on [legal] methods for disposal of stale gasoline?

I'd pull a sample in a glass jar (temporarily!!!) and let it set and make sure there's no ethanol/ water seperation.

Then burn it in your car 1/2 gallon at a time. Or rent a car.
laugh.gif

Give it to a guy with an old Ford 7.3 Powerstroke. He can mix it in his fuel 5% at a time. Those old Powerstrokes will eat nearly anything.

Mix it in with your other vehicles, a gallon to a full tank. Maybe some 2-stroke, MMO, Gumout w/Regane, acetone, xylene or whatever fuel additive makes you feel good as well.

A waverunner tank couldn't hold more than a couple gallons at a time, could it?

I used to pour it into the centre of my dirt driveway, light it, then watch the "eternal flame" burn for about three hours. One time I put a gallon in my #2 fuel oil tank - didnt notice any ill effects - Ibet thats not legal or safe. **

** I wont do that again.

I always burn the stuff in my vehicles, mixed sparingly, about 1/2 gallon per 15 gallon tank. The only thing you really need to watch for if you're doing this is water in the fuel; you don't want to mix that with your good fuel no matter what!

I would use it in your daily driver.

When I take cars to the junkyard you have to pull the gas tank. if there is any fuel I add it to my truck. I haven't noticed any ill effect yet. didn't notice when towing either.

Though I wouldn't mix more than a gallon or two at a time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back