what to do with old calipers?

It seems like a waste to put them in the garbage. will someone take the cores and re-introduce them into the reman chain if I did not pay a core charge?

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
It seems like a waste to put them in the garbage. will someone take the cores and re-introduce them into the reman chain if I did not pay a core charge?
if you weren't charged for the core, it probably means they don't want anymore in the chain. See if the parts store will recycle them for you or take them in for the scrap value.

Sell them on ebay as-is if there's a market. Rebuild them and sell them on ebay if you're able and if there's a market. Recycle them as scrap steel.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Rebuild them and sell them on ebay if you're able and if there's a market. Recycle them as scrap steel.
OR rebuild them and have them as backup! Fun little thing to do to kill time! smile

Drop them off at a wrecking yard. Right before a vehicle is crushed, all the rebuildable parts are stripped off and sold into the remanufacturing chain. If your part number has no core charge it means they get a ready supply of that particular core in good condition from junkyards and don't need to mess around with sourcing cores from their customers.

JDW

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Sell them on ebay as-is if there's a market. Rebuild them and sell them on ebay if you're able and if there's a market. Recycle them as scrap steel.
Yep they add to the pounds of my recycled oil filters at the yard wink

Tzu

I usually give my scrap metal to someone I know going to the scrap yard. The old cast iron ones have been replaced with aluminum calipers on my vehicles, but my parts store gives me a credit for cores towards new calipers.