What to do with "lightly" used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not save the oil, but if you do try to save the oil, let it sit for the duration and skim the top 9 Qts off the top and leave whatever falls out of the oil in the bottom of the storage container.

I can remember on racer I knew that blew an engine and did not fully clean out the oil coolers and dry-sump and ended up eating another engine due to crap left in the system.

Luckily I'm not dealing with any bottom end damage so I'm not too worried about the oil being contaminated from the engine. I'm more worried about it's life expectancy when it will be sitting for an extended period of time after being run for a small amount of time.

Thanks,
Rick

My guess is that RP will recommend replacing the oil--with more RP of course.
grin.gif

Maybe just strain it and bottle it and use it in an oil burner if you own any. My old Ford pick-up gets all sorts of used and partial quart leftover oil. She's never complained...
smile.gif

Dan

OK, here's my dilemma. I put about 200 miles on a fresh change of RP-21 in my street/track car with about 10 qts total including accusump, remote filter, oil cooler, etc or about $100 in oil. I had a spark plug come apart and do some damage to the heads. Since my driving season is all ready over I'm going to pull the motor and do a rebuild on it as well.

My question is should I drain and save the oil for my next fill up once the motor is rebuilt? I don't have any reason to suspect metal, etc in the motor since it had low miles on it, but in all this oil will probably be sitting 9 months before it gets used again. I hate to toss $100 of oil into a recycle jug, but that's cheaper than putting bad oil in a fresh motor. Comments?

Thanks,
Rick

I agree with let it sit and get the top 9. Does it look dark ie not purple or smell bad?
I tossed 12 qts of RP-41 this year with 25 1/4 mile runs and I know what you mean about the feeling...

If the engine was clean before and you only ran it for 200 miles, what you hassling about?
Don't buy a new batch, once you reconditioned the engine, throw it straight in.

I used to do this all the time. I'd take oil with very few miles or hours on it, drain it into a clean gallon container and let it sit for a week.

Then I'd pour off the top 90% into a funnel that had a filter inside it. I've used coffee filters as well as clean cotton rags (old shirts, etc ...) and this oil would go into old 1 quart oil containers with the labels removed.

The oil would get added to older vehicles and or engines that burn a fair amount of oil.

Never have had a problem and I did this for at least a solid decade.

One engine, an old 10hp Tecumseh on a snowblower, used to be one that consumed a fair amount of oil and got used oil (for top-off) fairly regularly. Over the years, I'd changed it a few times and switched it to Pennzoil straight 40 and it ceased consuming any. ... and this was after years of neglect (before I began maintaining it) and more years of getting clean, used oil.

Now, I have few applications that produce good, used oil and almost no applications that use any oil in the normal course of operation.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back