What to do if a small hex screw is rounded in tub faucet handle?

I think mine is a 94 Moen Posi-Temp kind of valve. It is dripping a bit but not a huge amount yet so I can wait a few days troubleshooting this.

The newer one I heard use 7/64 hex bit to screw and unscrew, but one of the older one I have in the house seems to use something around 2mm, 1.5mm, 1/16, or something like that. It hasn't been touched for decades and I'm using white vinegar to remove the calcium deposit in the hole where the set screw go between the handle and the valve's "flat" area.

The allen wrench seems to only free wheeling inside the set screw, or won't go in at all. So to remove it, some people on the internet recommend just drilling it out and replace the handle / kit completely. It is probably the final solution if nothing else work, but I want to ask all the people here if there's another way before I go that far.

Anyone seen this and what do you guys do to fix it?

The allen wrench seems to only free wheeling inside the set screw, or won't go in at all. So to remove it, some people on the internet recommend just drilling it out and replace the handle / kit completely.
If it's "free weeling" then I thinking drilling is your only choice. Make sure you lubricate the next screw you put in there.

If it's "free weeling" then I thinking drilling is your only choice. Make sure you lubricate the next screw you put in there.
Free wheeling is probably the wrong word to describe it. It is more like it is either stripped or some exotic size around 1.5mm to 1/16"

Is anyone familiar with Moen's size for these screws? I know for sure it is Moen and the rest of the house is using Monticello.

Reactions: JC1
This is a very common problem. Been there done that 2x. Drill/hacksaw that sucker off and replace the whole thing.

I put a ton of plumbing grease in and over the new ones, maybe delay or prevent a recurrence for whoever tries to take the new ones off in 15 or 20 years 😁

jeff

This is a very common problem. Been there done that 2x. Drill/hacksaw that sucker off and replace the whole thing.

I put a ton of plumbing grease in and over the new ones, maybe delay or prevent a recurrence for whoever tries to take the new ones off in 15 or 20 years 😁

jeff
Have you seen something this size in old Moen's tub faucet? I couldn't find anything other than the 7/64 kind on any video or guide. Almost believe it wasn't Moen but the plate behind it clearly said Moen for sure.

Avoiding the single handle design completely sidesteps a lot of plumbing maintenance woe.
Hiring a plumber to install a replacement single handle (no choice) was the happiest money I've ever spent.

Yes on lubing and anti-seizing

Check moen directly, they may send you a replacement handle and cartridge.
I had some moen bath faucet in my previous house and I always order a replacement free of charge.

You need to be specific of what you need including the screw, sleeve, cartridge and cover plate.
They are not going to send you as a set.

Find the tightest fitting hex key and jb weld it into the head of the bolt. Apply plumber's grease to the new set screw during installation.

IIRC the screw on my Moen uses a 5/32 or 4mm allen wrench. It is pushing 40 yrs old and I've replaced 3or4 cartridges without drama

Got off a call with Moen, the size was 1/16" hex. They have redesigned it so the new one is the "official" 7/64 and the replacement handle kit is $25 on Amazon. They recommend drilling it out and replace the handle.

Back