What to do for a leaking diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kawasaki mule 3010 diesel is starting to leak pretty bad.. Since its previous oil change (2013), a fiber washer was used on the drain plug. It appeared to have stopped the leak until a month ago. I changed the oil and added a new washer hoping that was the issue and it is just as bad as before.

Since last weekends use (as well as sitting/ dripping all week) it has lost about half a quart. May not seem like much, but it only holds about 3.

In the meantime I am tempted to use some cheap 15w40 dino (Delvac, ST etc.) since it has to be replenished so often. Is there any high mileage oil additive that is worth a try? *If it was a gasser, I would just add some M1 HM 10w30 and go!
laugh.gif

Thanks.

Last edited:
drain and inspect why it is leaking pls,
is the drain plug/hole stripped?

can you install one of those drain valves like fumoto valves?

The plug goes in a bit sloppy, always has, but can be finger tightened nonetheless. I normally torque it down to 30 ft lbs.

The plug is original. I don't think it ever came with a washer?

It's just leaking from the drain plug? That should be easy enough to figure out...

Originally Posted By: Olas
Try using a copper washer and ptfe tape on the plug.

That's a good start. Buy a new plug. You'll need some kind of washer to seal it. Just the plug against the pan isn't going to cut it. I like the copper ones.

Ill give the washer and tape a try.

Unfortunately the oil pan is buried under some pretty beefy skid plates that are welded to the frame so simply looking at the drain plug in order to identify the leak is easier said than done. The drain plug is accessed through a 2 inch hole and sits at a 45 degree angle. IIRC, a portion of the frame has to be unbolted to access the pan. Wherever the leak is coming from, it is dripping onto the skid and lurking towards the front of the engine and dripping though 3 holes that are in the skid plate.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Ill give the washer and tape a try.

Unfortunately the oil pan is buried under some pretty beefy skid plates that are welded to the frame so simply looking at the drain plug in order to identify the leak is easier said than done. The drain plug is accessed through a 2 inch hole and sits at a 45 degree angle. IIRC, a portion of the frame has to be unbolted to access the pan. Wherever the leak is coming from, it is dripping onto the skid and lurking towards the front of the engine and dripping though 3 holes that are in the skid plate.
JB weld the plug and use an oil change pump in the dipstick hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back