What to coolant is for my 1997 Camaro Z28 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the car, I think it have dexcool on it, what other coolant that can compatible for my vehicle ? thanks

Originally Posted By: killagt
Just bought the car, I think it have dexcool on it, what other coolant that can compatible for my vehicle ? thanks

Many or most people do not have a problem with DexCool, but some do. And its an ugly problem if you do especially if you have to replace the intake manifold gasket.

There are other antifreezes (G-05, Peak Global) that have zero risk not just a low risk.

With either G-05 or Peak Global you can flush with distilled water then add the new antifreeze or just drain and refill the radiator with the new antifreeze.

if Im just drain coolant from radiator, can I just add G-05 to it, can it be compatible with dex-cool already in it ? thanks

if Im just drain coolant from radiator, can I just add G-05 to it, can it be compatible with dex-cool already in it ? thanks

i would recomend doing a flush(drain,refil with clean water,drain,refil,etc) a few times then add the G.

I emailed Zerex on this very question and they said its fine to mix G-05 and DexCool. However you will not get the full benefit of G-05 until the system is all or almost all G-05.

A flush with distilled water takes a little time but is pretty cheap since its less than $1.00 per gallon.

The lt1 intake is dry so no coolant flows through it. Though you wont be changing the intake gasket out because of coolant you might end up changing it anyway. LT1s are notorious for oil leaks.I hope you read up on how to flush the system? You are going to have to bleed the coolant system after the intial fill. To make that easier i would recommend pouring the water/coolant through the thermostat housing.

Here is a link to a how-to. The rest of the site has great info on the lt1 so i would save it.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back