What to add to my gas on a 12 hr drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner or Regane High Mileage as stated previous by Trav. Run back to back bottles and take note of your miles per gallons before & after. Be safe & good luck with your drive home.

Dale

Add whatever additive you like to the fuel that is already in the tank, then run that tank down to near empty. Then for your drive back to Virginia, fill up with premium. She'll, Chevron, Mobil, etc. Premium not for the octain, but for the extra cleaners in the fuel. The extra cost of a couple fill ups will still cost you less than the other cans of "Mouse Milk" that you might use.

BTW; good luck getting Virginia to get the sales tax you paid to Florida. If you drive the car away, (vice trucking it away) you have to pay the FL sales tax. I hate that. At my NY location, if I buy there, NYDMV will issue me a "Certificate of Transit" (paper plate) giving me 30 days to get the car out of the state. No NY Tax, but pay in my home state. I once did the exact same thing in Colorado, buying there, then paying tax in home state. (But NOT Florida,my primary state- they won't let you do that).

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Did you buy another Lexus GS for $500?

GX470. I try and stay around 10 years behind on my initial purchase and find one with "perfect" service records.

That's why I am expecting to use several tanks of gas coming home.

Sorry, I confused you with someone else that has a similar signature listing their vehicles. I was thinking of the thread below:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../the-best-500-car-in-history#Post4845935

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to find redline or Techron. Especially given the sprawl in most of FL...

I'd run a heavy dose of either for the first tank, then a maintenance dose plus a bit of tcw-3 for the subsequent tanks.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I.... plus a bit of tcw-3 for the subsequent tanks.
That's marine 2-stroke engine oil. Its crazy dumb advice to tell someone to put this in a gasoline engine's tank. Credibility just plunged to zero with you.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
That's marine 2-stroke engine oil. Its crazy dumb advice to tell someone to put this in a gasoline engine's tank. Credibility just plunged to zero with you.

I wasn't sure, since 2 people suggested it, if TCW3 was another name for a fuel injector cleaner I had never heard of?
I did a quick Google search and found this thread about it here dated back in 2016. I haven't read it yet but maybe TCW3 has some merit?
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1429603

No, it isn't dumb advice.

Originally Posted by wag123

No, it isn't dumb advice.

^^^^^

Exactly. Nothing really wrong with it given the right dosing amount...

almost all rest stops will have a selection of gas additives. put a different one in with
each refill.

then if you see an auto-parts store near that turn-off, then stop in and buy a different set
of additives.

this stuff works and have a safe, fun journey.

I'm getting excited. Got to remember to carry a phone charger, a tire pressure gauge and sunglasses. I wish I could carry my conceal carry but I'm afraid it would not make it through the TSA at the airport. I sure hope this hurricane doesn't affect my flight on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks for all of your Advice

I'm getting excited. Got to remember to carry a phone charger, a tire pressure gauge and sunglasses. I wish I could carry my conceal carry but I'm afraid it would not make it through the TSA at the airport. I sure hope this hurricane doesn't affect my flight on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks for all of your Advice

If you are checking a bag you can take your Concealed Carry, there is a set of TSA regs for just such a purpose. I'm sitting here in our AirB&B in Maine after having flown from MI with mine, it's an easy, 2 minute process.

Google it for specifics and check with your airline for any nuances bit the basics are:

Lock the unloaded weapon in a TSA approved locking case/box (99% of all small lock boxes are) with your mags and ammo in a factory box.

Upon checking the bag state to the airline employee that you have a weapon to declare

They will have you open the case and verbally state the weapon is unloaded

They may or may not have you sign a small card/form and place it in the case, you relook it and retain the key

The bag is tagged with the regular luggage destination tag and loaded onto the belt for scanning/x-tpray as is normal

The airline is not allowed to mark, indicate, tag or otherwise identify the bag as having a weapon inside it

You and only you retain the key (or combination ) for the locked case, the airline or TSA are not allowed to open it.

Once you reach your final destination, not any layovers, you pickup your luggage at the claim as usual and retrieve your CC in a bathroom or once you have left the terminal.

Last edited:
Not checking any bag. But great information for future.

I wouldn't waste any money on additives. Just drive it like you stole it on the highway.
grin2.gif

Firearms are only allowed in checked baggage, sorry you won't be able to take a CW in your carryon. It might be possible to ship it to yourself at your destination (to a nearby dealer, etc) and pickup on arrival.

I would just use whatever PEA cleaner is readily available, which means primarily Techron and Gumout Regane.
Maybe an initial double dose on the first tank.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I lke to use berryman b-12 then the next tank techron. I have always wondered if those products work better when you drive a tank out over several days vs a long highway run. Does the solvent work better when it gets some sitting time in the fuel system and injectors?

I have read both, and can see the benifit of either.
If on a long trip, constant flow of solvent helps break up stuff.
If stop and go, then soaking helps break up stuff.
21.gif

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
Add whatever additive you like to the fuel that is already in the tank, then run that tank down to near empty. Then for your drive back to Virginia, fill up with premium. She'll, Chevron, Mobil, etc. Premium not for the octain, but for the extra cleaners in the fuel. The extra cost of a couple fill ups will still cost you less than the other cans of "Mouse Milk" that you might use. ...

There is no extra cleaning agents in premium fuel. It is a waste of money to use a higher octane fuel than needed. It has been shown many times that this is the case.
Even if it were not, premium is $0.60 (or more)/gallon than regular. A bottle of Techron or Gumout Regane is what, $8, and treats 15-20 gallons.
The extra $0.60/gallon on a 15 gallon fill up is more than the bottle of cleaner.

Originally Posted by Balrog006

Firearms are only allowed in checked baggage, sorry you won't be able to take a CW in your carryon. It might be possible to ship it to yourself at your destination (to a nearby dealer, etc) and pickup on arrival.

Heck, he is going to Florida, don't they just give away guns with a fill-up anyway.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back