what tire to run for winter 4wd Tahoe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have General Grabber HTS 245/75/16 that has about 5K miles on them on my 1996 Tahoe.
I also have 4 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens with kedge grip that has over 30K on them plus one 265/75/16 Warden without kedge i had as a spare. so my thinking was i would run the Grabbers during summer and wardens in winter ( i took off Wardens because i could never get them to stop shaking the Tahoe so bad no matter what i did ) so i bought one more new 265/75/16 warden to go with the other new one that was spare and then use the two best looking used ones with kedge grip on front.

i know i am over thinking things so that leads me here to ask for opinions.

it bothers me mentally to run two new and two used together. so should i buy two more Wardens for winter use or should i just try to sell the Wardens and just run the grabbers? of course when i got the wardens was for snow and all winter we got one dusting that was not any issue at all. i'm in southern middle Tennessee. this winter is predicted to be wet and icy snowy and i just want the better of the two for best traction in case we do get precip.

* the Warden has same tread pattern and BFG At/KO

I wouldn't bother with the Treadwrights. The BFG tread pattern is good in deep snow but I doubt would be any better than your Generals in regular slippery conditions (read slush and ice).

FWIW, I had General Grabber AWs on my old 4Runner and they were fantastic in the snow. Obviously not a winter tire, but it got me where I wanted to go if I was cautious.

Rather than continue to buy tires from a company that hasn't worked out for you, why not buy a set of dedicated winter tires?

Personally, I'd sell what you have and run the Generals.

Quote:
i took off Wardens because i could never get them to stop shaking the Tahoe so bad no matter what i did
I'd be concerned about a defective casing under that recap.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
..what tire to run for winter 4wd Tahoe ?

Altimax Artic winter tires.

this doesn't look all that much different than the Grabbers i am running now.

The Altimax are true snows with the winter mountain snowfalke logo. We had 6" snow this morning. I installed my Altimax Artics last night in preparation for the snow. They are good in snow, like really, really good.

General grabber at2.

Loved them when we had our ice storm in March.

Treadwear is great, they are quiet, and the traction is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back