What things did your parents tell you that weren't true

Yes it is wonderful if it works out that way. But you need a viable plan B: I got my pilot license before I had my drivers license. I had a navy ROTC full scholarship in college with the intention of flying for the navy. Freshman year they took us all aside and said the navy was furloughing pilots now that Vietnam was over and we should expect a wet navy assignment in three years. That was not my wish so I left. Went on to pay my own way in a state engineering school and has a very successful career. Retired at 56 with millions in the bank and no debt. That came from not going on expensive vacations, one comfortable house right sized that was a fixer-upper, brown bagging it and living well below my means. I still do that.

My daughter loved to paint and draw. She wanted to go to a private college in New England and major in it. I said fine on your dime but if I’m paying $40k/year in tuition you are going to major in something that can pay your bills. She hated us at first but now she is 30, works on Wall Street, just bought a million dollar condo with half cash down payment and travels overseas 3-5 times per year. She never draws or paints now.

Her roommate freshman year majored in dance, at $40k/year! Got a degree in it and moved back home. Wasted two years waiting on tables and then went back and got a degree in accounting and now she is set. She dances at the local repertoire theater on weekends.

Glad someone here has a worse ego than me.

That I needed to go to college and that they turn Niagara Falls off at night to not waste water.
The NY and Canadian Power Authorities do turn Niagara Falls “down” at night, but not ”off”. It was actually pretty amazing to watch the low flow of the falls before 0800. The flow turned back to normal over a period of about 15 minutes or so after 0800.

I think it depends on if you can do what you love profitably or not. I love fishing but if I had to do it for a living I'd starve.
Ok, I'll give you that.
I'd add that it is amazing the number of things there are out in the world that are both interesting and able to provide a healthy living.

I just can't imagine working a job because I 'have' to or working a job I dread. But I guess I'm fortunate in that I was able to craft my lifestyle around the tenet that if you dislike your job then you better go out and either find or create something better.

Life is way too short to be miserable.

Cheers!

I get the point you're trying to make, but that's sad.
Not really. She now has the $ resources to build her own studio if she wanted to, she no longer see painting as a priority. Now her goal is traveling the world and she is living it! Last count was over 30 countries as a tourist, many more than once. Priorities change as you mature, mine did that’s for sure. But her art talent is still there and she may rekindle the passion.

My said her parents told her that her face would freeze that way when she would make a face. Mine said if you go outside with wet hair you get sick. I always wondered where all the sick swimmers were.

The 3 that come to mind:

1. Your face will freeze like that when you make a "face".
2. Those bumps/pimples on your tongue are caused by telling lies.

and my favorite

3. If you eat boogers you'll get worms.

Back