What things did your parents tell you that weren't true

That you need to do what you love. No, you need to do what others are willing to pay you to do. Doing what you love to do is called a hobby.
Is that always the case? Can’t they be the same things?

I love flying. People pay me to do it. Always have.

My daughter loves fixing things - as a surgeon, she gets paid for her work.

By the time you kids realize I actually know what I am talking about, you will have kids of your own who think you know nothing.
This is kinda true, no?

That you need to do what you love. No, you need to do what others are willing to pay you to do. Doing what you love to do is called a hobby.
Well it is sort of true. Most (not all) people love to sit on their large asset.

If you don't work, you don't eat.
True up until 1970 or something. Now you can lounge your entire life. Eat fine.

That the trees made the wind. I believed this until 9th grade. Douchenuts.
I never even heard that before. Were they just being silly?

My dad said some crazy stuff...........he was big on "easier on the car to downshift that use the brakes". I would always be doing the physics in my head when he said that.

My parents always made decisions based on money. Whether it was the most influential deciding factor or not. We were solidly middle class and could have afforded it either way but both of my parents grew up poor.
It led to a lot of decisions about quality of life stuff that I definitely wouldn't make today.

I'd say nearly everything they ever told me wasn't true. I'd say the biggest lie would be that they ever cared about me or my siblings. They can both kick rocks. I do remember my dad telling me once that a particular brand of car was best. I won't brand bash but suffice it to say that in my experience he was wrong..

Is that always the case? Can’t they be the same things?

I love flying. People pay me to do it. Always have.

My daughter loves fixing things - as a surgeon, she gets paid for her work.
Yes it is wonderful if it works out that way. But you need a viable plan B: I got my pilot license before I had my drivers license. I had a navy ROTC full scholarship in college with the intention of flying for the navy. Freshman year they took us all aside and said the navy was furloughing pilots now that Vietnam was over and we should expect a wet navy assignment in three years. That was not my wish so I left. Went on to pay my own way in a state engineering school and has a very successful career. Retired at 56 with millions in the bank and no debt. That came from not going on expensive vacations, one comfortable house right sized that was a fixer-upper, brown bagging it and living well below my means. I still do that.

My daughter loved to paint and draw. She wanted to go to a private college in New England and major in it. I said fine on your dime but if I’m paying $40k/year in tuition you are going to major in something that can pay your bills. She hated us at first but now she is 30, works on Wall Street, just bought a million dollar condo with half cash down payment and travels overseas 3-5 times per year. She never draws or paints now.

Her roommate freshman year majored in dance, at $40k/year! Got a degree in it and moved back home. Wasted two years waiting on tables and then went back and got a degree in accounting and now she is set. She dances at the local repertoire theater on weekends.

Back