What the heck type of coolant to use? (Kia Optima)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's time for a coolant change on my 2005 Kia Optima and I'm thoroughly confused.

There's too many options on the shelf so I decided to check my manual. I figured there'd be a spec listed and I could just look on the back of the bottle for one that met that spec.

Well, no luck. All it says is to use a quality glycol coolant.

So I start reading up on the various options..... IAT, OAT, H-OAT, POAT. And now I'm more confused than I've ever been about anything.
confused.gif

I was looking at MaxLife, but then I'm reading it has phosphates and silicates. Then I'm reading that Asian cars don't like silicates. People seem to like G-05 but I don't know what the heck it is. Zerex Asian? AutoZone cheap stuff? Prestone Extended life????????
confused.gif

I think I'm overthinking it.

Got a Pepboys nearby? If so, go grab a gallon (or however much needed for 50% concentration of AF) of OEM brand Concentrated Green. It's an Asian P-HOAT and comes in full strength ~$20 gallon, good price for full strength and it's a long life coolant. Use distilled water to combine with.

Zerex Asian is an option too but it only comes as premix. I like Peak Global Lifetime too, if you can find it in full strength at Napa.

Forget MaxLife, been discussed here before, do a search, nothing special.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/879918/00094/car_care/antifreeze_coolant/antifreeze_coolant

Kia calls for an Ethylene Glycol based coolant. Anything with an Ethylene base should do just fine. No reason to stress over coolant.

Quote:
Kia calls for an Ethylene Glycol based coolant.....

As do Honda, Nissan and others, but owners manual AF recommendations can be notoriously vague. Guarantee you Honda and Hyundai/Kia doesn't recommend or use an oem silicated original green.

I wouldn't use an original green as my first choice here.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Zerex Asian would be my choice.

Mine too.

Mine three.

My Favorite was always zerex

THOUGH,

G05 was recommended for my 2.3L Ford Ranger 2005
Asian Zerex was recommended for the 2.3L Mazda Truck 2005

I found it funny that pretty much the same engine had 2 different recommendations

it got Zerex Asian last, was cheaper at NAPA than the g-05

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
So it's time for a coolant change on my 2005 Kia Optima and I'm thoroughly confused. There's too many options on the shelf so I decided to check my manual. I figured there'd be a spec listed and I could just look on the back of the bottle for one that met that spec.

In confusion, there is profit to be made. It's not worth over-thinking.

Use Peak Global (it's in a gold-colored jug). You can order the concentrated stuff through NAPA, if not in stock - about $15/gal. Some Menards stores also carry it, or call around. The diluted 50/50 version is available at most K-Marts - about $10-12. It works in any vehicle.

FWIW, this antifreeze is likely to outlast the plastic-capped radiators that are so popular in Asian vehicles these days. And, at least on a Subaru, you'll be changing the timing belt and water pump before the antifreeze.

the best way is to buy full strength and 5 gallons of distilled. drain the old coolant out the radiator, refill with distilled, repeat intil clear, drain the radiator and add the new coolant to 50% of capacity.

I went with Toyota Red in my Honda. G/L

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

THOUGH,

I found it funny that pretty much the same engine had 2 different recommendations

Try the Ford dealer for some Premium Gold next time, same as G-05 for less $!

Originally Posted By: dblshock
the best way is to buy full strength and 5 gallons of distilled. drain the old coolant out the radiator, refill with distilled, repeat intil clear, drain the radiator and add the new coolant to 50% of capacity.

Totally agree, then repeat every 100k? I think my toyotas recommended a change at 100k

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: dblshock

Totally agree, then repeat every 100k? I think my Toyotas recommended a change at 100k

You forgot to add to run the car until the lower radiator hose is HOT, this will allow the thermostat open up to circulate the coolant

Thanks for all the answers guys!

That's my usual MO with coolant changes, the distilled H2O drain and fill method.

My cooling system holds a little less that 8 quarts, so I'm lucky in that a full gallon gives me a bit above 50/50 without any extra coolant to decide what to do with.

It's too bad the Zerex Asian only comes in 50/50. I'm not sure I could completly empty my cooling system and I don't want to end up with a 40/60 mix or anything like that, so that one's off the list.

There's a Pep Boys near me - I'll check them for the OEM green, and pick up a bottle of Peak Global lifetime otherwise.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

THOUGH,

That's because your "asian" Mazda will have a severe alergic reaction to silicates
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
...It's too bad the Zerex Asian only comes in 50/50. I'm not sure I could completly empty my cooling system and I don't want to end up with a 40/60 mix or anything like that, so that one's off the list...

And besides being a sweet money maker for the manufacturers/sellers that's the problem with a premix. If you want to do a complete flush/distilled flush series, it's difficult without being wasteful of AF to get the coolant concentration you seek. Unfortunately that is how the majority of oem Asian P-HOAT LL AF's now come.

A giant +1 !!! It's exactly what I use (available from NAPA) in my Hyundai and Kia vehicles !!
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Zerex Asian whould be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back