What the heck is Invigorate???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filled up today at a local BP. All the pump handles, as well as lots of signage around the station, announced the addition of "Invigorate" to all fuels. I'm assuming it's their answer to Shell's V-Power and Chevron's Techron, but does anyone have any more in-depth insight? Just curious. FWIW, the "new" fuel was the same price as the "uninvigorated" fuel was last week.

Quote:

Filled up today at a local BP. All the pump handles, as well as lots of signage around the station, announced the addition of "Invigorate" to all fuels. I'm assuming it's their answer to Shell's V-Power and Chevron's Techron, but does anyone have any more in-depth insight? Just curious. FWIW, the "new" fuel was the same price as the "uninvigorated" fuel was last week.

http://www.bpinvigorate.com/index.html

Hammer

Quote:

Invigorate claims to prevent sludge buildup- yeah, ok.

Why is that confusing to understand? If you have a cleaner burn, then it's possible that you could have less combustion by-products fouling the oil. If the oil is less contaminated, then the formation of sludge becomes less likely.

Hammer

Quote:

Quote:

Why is that confusing to understand? If you have a cleaner burn, then it's possible that you could have less combustion by-products fouling the oil. If the oil is less contaminated, then the formation of sludge becomes less likely.

Hammer

I never heard of any gas company claim that their gas can help prevent sludge. I was under the impression that sludge forms from not changing oil or improper engine design.

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.bpinvigorate.com/index.html

Hammer

After reading your reply, I went right to the mirror and said "you're a dummy. And you call yourself internet savvy".

Cool link. Answers alot of my questions and seems pretty informative. Seems easy enough for even the lay-person to understand. Thanks.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hammer

I never heard of any gas company claim that their gas can help prevent sludge. I was under the impression that sludge forms from not changing oil or improper engine design.

Not changing oil leads to excessive oxidation of the oil plus overloading of the oils dispersant's which keep combustion by-products suspended. A less clean burn can overload the oil with combustion by-products and lead to....sludge

And yes, bad mechanical design can cause sludge too...typically leading to over oxidation of the oil and/or too much combustion by-products.

I don't know if you realize it, but there would hardly be any sludge issues with engines if it wasn't for the existence of combustion events. Any sludge that forms in the other non-engine components are typically from over oxidation of the oil from running hot.

Quote:

After reading your reply, I went right to the mirror and said "you're a dummy. And you call yourself internet savvy".

Cool link. Answers alot of my questions and seems pretty informative. Seems easy enough for even the lay-person to understand. Thanks.

Yeah, i never heard of BP Invigorate until I read this thread. A quick Google search gave me the link I posted.

Hammer

Invigorate is a new thing....just in the past couple of months.
I am wondering if this will place them on the "Top Tier Gasoline" list.

Quote:

Invigorate is a new thing....just in the past couple of months.
I am wondering if this will place them on the "Top Tier Gasoline" list.

If you look at the FAQ within the link I provided above, the last question and answer reads:

Is BP gasoline with Invigorate Top Tier

BP does not participate in the Top Tier program. BP believes that consumer interests are best served when the automotive and oil industries work cooperatively to determine the optimal mix of vehicle hardware and fuel standards.

We believe our new gasoline offer is unique and all grades of BP gasoline with Invigorate exceed the Top Tier requirements with respect to detergent additive content.

Hammer

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hammer

What Hammer said is true. Look at stationary natural gas or propane-fueled engines. We change the oil in several load-shedding Waukesha NG gensets once a year and the internals are spotless. Even the oil is clear. NG burns very clean, and if a gasoline can be formulated to burn cleaner, the engine oil will also stay cleaner.

Drew

So maybe this is why engine oil turns dark?
smile.gif
yay! An Answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back