What synthetic oil for turbocharged motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GearHeadRD,
For an oil-cooled-only turbo, I'd definitely go with an ACEA A3/B3 rated oil. I know the M1 0W-40 & 15W-50 both meet this, but I don't know about the other brands. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these, but ultimately you need to decide what you're comfortable using. The 0W-40 will get circulated faster on startup, but the 15W-50 will offer better hi-temp protection. I'm using the M1 0W-40 year-round here in Northern CO, but my turbo's water-cooled so I'm not worried about it during the summer. I'm also using the M1 15W-50 in my non-turbo, & it's been fine down to 15*F. It sounds like your intervals will be fairly short, so you could choose to run them both depending on the season. Switching back & forth between these two will not create any problems. If you don't want to switch back & forth, & you were to force me to choose, I'd probably go with 15W-50.

quote:

Originally posted by Racer X:
Mobil's website recommends the Mobil 1 15W50 specifically for turbo cars - they mention a special high-temperature formula with extra anti-wear additive. If you operate in cold temperatures I would use the M1 0W40.

I autocross a '91 MR2 Turbo and use Mobil 1 15W50. I do not drive the car much in the winter, just enough to keep the car from getting rigor mortis.

My cool-down regimen is not very extreme, I just try to keep off the boost for the last 6 blocks, drive slowly for the last 2 blocks, and then give it 10-15 seconds of standing idle. Obviously after an autocross run I let it cool for a long time, sometimes I don't even shut down between runs.

For me the big question is how long to run the oil. I use the car for competition and can run for almost two years before accumulating 3000 miles. I plan to do analysis on the oil I am running now, but it will be quite a while before I change it. I won't get TBN since the lab will be Shaeffer's so it may be hard to tell how chronological time is affecting the oil.

Hey Racer X....what do you run in the 1/4? My friend has a 92 MR2 Turbo. He just swapped out the stock CT26 turbo for another CT26 that has been upgraded to 50 trim (I believe). With the stock turbo and a boost controller, fuel cut defeat, and aluminum flywheel he ran a 13.8@~101.
I can still spank him though (even with the new turbo). BTW, he let his idle for a minute or so (the CT26 are water cooled)
Rick

I never drag raced this car so I don't know. But I am definitely in agreement that after going full boost for any length of time, a minute cool down is the right way to avoid changing turbos too often.
smile.gif

In response to dbrown who was critical of Mobil's description of the 15W50, and subsequent speculation, I'd have to say oil analysis doesn't tell what is in an additive package. The content of the package does not necessarily have to be different, but the proportions may be altered, and you could still legitimately call it a different formula.

Frankly, without evidence to the contrary, I am taking Mobil's word for it and trading off some power (overcoming greater viscosity) for a more robust oil and the greater protection afforded by the higher viscosity. It doesn't hurt that I personally know at least one national champion SCCA showroom stock driver uses this oil in his normally-aspirated race cars, so my take is that the performance loss is insignificant, and the protection is adequate. He also tells me 15W50 has better anti-foaming performance than the other M1 weights. Caveat - this was before the SuperSyn formula, and things could be different now. But given the target market for this oil, I doubt it is worse than before.
Cheers!

I think that Delvac 1, 5w-40 is one of the best deals for Canadian listers in a top of the line, PAO based synthetic, compared to the prices for Redline and Amsoil up there. The Mobil 1, 0w-40 would be my other recommendation ....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I think that Delvac 1, 5w-40 is one of the best deals for Canadian listers in a top of the line, PAO based synthetic, compared to the prices for Redline and Amsoil up there. The Mobil 1, 0w-40 would be my other recommendation ....

TS

Mobil 1 0w40 is not sold up here except at Mercedes dealers (huge markup I'm sure) and Amsoil and Delvac 1 cost about the same here, about $8 per liter. Redline is insane up here, anywhere from $17 to $20 per liter! No thanks! Mobil 1 5w30, 10w30, 15w50 is about $6.50 per liter and cheaper when the 4L jugs go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back