what synthetic for 03 jeep 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
need some help desiding what oil for the winter monce.
what oil does jeep's 4.0 likes? Did some serch but...
I'm very confused, it looks like it does good with xw-40 but then again there some good numbers with xw-30.
Curently using PP, I'm waiting till it hits 3k milse to do UOA.
Any inpoot welcome
cheers.gif

Based on UOA from this site and oil consuption reports I would reccomend a 5W40 for cold weather and a 15W40 for the warm months. THe HO 4.0 is a really old design and it can do well on robust 30Wt. oils in the begining. Eventualy it will start to consume too much oil with a 30Wt.!10W40's work well in this engine as well. This engine should almost be looked at like a tractor engine in relationship to what oils do best in it. It is a good engine and if taken care of it will run for a long long time!

Thanks guy's
where can i get some synthetic Rotella Xw-40, I mean best price that be.
I'm waiting on BMK-13, as soon as bmk is installed i'll switch to xW-40 and drive it for 5k then do UOA and see how it looks aganst xw-30.

Shell Rotella T 5W-40 should be available at your local Wal-Mart in both single quart containers, and in 4-quart jugs.

Quote:

Based on UOA from this site and oil consuption reports I would reccomend a 5W40 for cold weather and a 15W40 for the warm months. THe HO 4.0 is a really old design and it can do well on robust 30Wt. oils in the begining. Eventualy it will start to consume too much oil with a 30Wt.!10W40's work well in this engine as well. This engine should almost be looked at like a tractor engine in relationship to what oils do best in it. It is a good engine and if taken care of it will run for a long long time!

When does "eventually" kick in? At 127K+ my Cherokee isn't consuming any of the 10W30 I put in it.
I agree about the Rotella, if you're determined to use a synthetic.

For wintertime in Chicago, I'd run a 0w-30 or 5w-30 synthetic and maybe think about switching to a 10w-30 for the warmer months. You should not have to run anything thicker than a 10w-30 in just about any modern gas engine. If you do, the problem is with the poor quality oil you're suing and not the engine.

TS

Our preference is for REDLINE 10W-30, with BALDWIN B2-HPG filter and LUBE CONTROL LC-20 on both of our 2001 XJs. (See UOA for first model).

Annual (or 20,000 mile) ARX service, as well as air filter replacement. Have had to seal valve cover leakage on both.

Now at 60,000 miles of excellent service on this. First vehicle ran over 40,000 on this combo; second is near 20,000. Both started from 50 and 70 thousand miles respectively.

Do a little UOA searching and you will find the 4.0 loves Havoline 10w-30. Save your money as this little dino produces the lowest wear numbers, on the 4.0, I could find.

I think Gary Allan has the lowest wear numbers per 1,000 miles. Check Greaser, too. Mine were also low. And note the type of use, as well as the part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back