What Synergyn Viscosity Would You Guys Run in My Vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just wondering if you could give an opinion on what viscosity to run in my vehicle. My vehicle calls for a 5w-20 oil, it is a 2002 Honda Civic SiR which is driven moderately hard, high rpms use, mostly in warm weather seasons, doesn't see much winter. Our warm weather months usually are about 90 degree days in hot summer, spring and fall are cooler.

I've been using the Synergyn 5w-30 oil, but the car felt sluggish when I started using it, and it has lost a couple of hp as well (dyno tested). I've noticed that their 5w-30 weight has a viscosity of 12.3 which is right at the top of the 30 range, very close to the bottom of the 40 range. It even looked prety thick when I was putting it in. The flash point of the 5w-30 is 406 degrees.

I want to stick with Synergyn for a couple of drains. They offer a 3w-30 weight which has a viscosity of approx. 10.7,and flash point of 410 degrees. They also offer a 0w-20 weight with a viscosity of 8.8 and flash point of 410 degrees. Any recommendations between 3w-30 and 0w-20 ?, any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks. You can view other info of their oils at < SNIP > they list things like specific gravity, density, etc..., but I am not sure of the differences in those areas. thanks.
smile.gif

Joey

[ January 27, 2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I'd like you to try out the 0w20, for selfish reasons of course, since I'd love to see a hard driven Honda running on the stuff. I think it'll perform better than many people here expect.

In the Honda you have I would use the 0/20 oil all year round. You asked for opinions,,there is mine
smile.gif

I think I remember you saying something about driving a long distance to the track and changing oil then changing for the drive home,,,,I beleive with the 0/20 it would be best to just leave it in.
You might think about switching to the LTS 3/30 at around 100k though. Just a thought if it will be ran hard all it's life

thanks for the replies Pat and Dragboat, much appreciated. I just ordered a supply of 0w-20 ,gonna give it a shot and hopefully have it analyzed after some use. I'll keep you posted.

cheers.gif

Joey

thanks Tenderloin, I am looking forward to perhaps some extra zip and mpg don't hurt either. Hopefully she protects well too. Are you using the Synergyn brand of 0w-20 ?.

Just a note, Mobil's 0w-20 is right around the corner. I think it comes out in March. Battle of the 20W's!
smile.gif

Mobil1 will be much cheaper than the Synergyn, will be interesting to see how they stack up in terms of analysis. I'd be willing to run the Mobil1 after the Synergyn to see how they compare, but I am really looking forward to the Synergyn, expecting good results with it.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Just a note, Mobil's 0w-20 is right around the corner. I think it comes out in March. Battle of the 20W's!
smile.gif

Redline has a 5w20 now also, but it can practically be labelled a 5w30, as it's viscosity is 9.1cst at 100c. It's got an incredibly good 3.3 HTHS too (good for a 5w20 anyways)

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
Are you using the Synergyn brand of 0w-20 ?.

YES!

cool, thanks for the info Tenderloin, are you going to do an oil analysis on that oil ?, what vehicle are you running it in ?. I will analyze mine for sure, probably wont hit the mileage until June though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back