What States Are Not Using Ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I just got back from a trip to Key West. There are many stations that sell 100% gasoline along the Keys. I imagine it's because boating is so popular down there.

I never knew that..I usually stop at the Mobil station on US-1 on the northbound side in Marathon...Never looked to see if it had the 10% corn juice in it...I assumed it did...There are alot of boat owners in Broward and Miami also so South Florida really should not be putting the corn juice in their fuel.

Where did you stay down there?...I generally stay at the Southernmost Hotel at the end of Duval Street.

Yes, E10 should work in a boat engine. The issue is that boats see a lot of storage. Letting a tank sit a while with E10 can lead to phase separation and water buildup in the tank.

Search the archives using the words "phase separation" for more detail on the subject.

I am convinced that 100% gas is the way to go. I consistently see 20-30 more miles per tank that when using E10. It costs about $.15 more a gallon or about $1.50 a tank. I try to sync my trips to the one station here that sells it.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
I am convinced that 100% gas is the way to go. I consistently see 20-30 more miles per tank that when using E10. It costs about $.15 more a gallon or about $1.50 a tank. I try to sync my trips to the one station here that sells it.

Amen brother! We have 3 stations I know of here in Spartanburg that are 100% gas. I try my best to fill up at these places. I figure if $2 more per fill-up gets me 40 more MPG's I'm doing alright. PLUS it just galls some of our local tree huggers to death.

The funny thing is...what if the tables were reversed and we were all using ethanol and trying to switch to gasoline. You'd be laughed out of the room for proposing a switch. I can hear it now:

1.) who would ever use that [censored] low 87 octane when ethanol gives me 105.

2.) I don't want that "low power" junk in my tank.

3.) why would I want a bunch of gunky old dinosaur remnants clogging up my injectors, when I can flush them with nice clean ethanol.

4.) why would I pay some middle easterner (who doesn't like us very much) for sludge, when we can grow clean ethanol right here.

5.) why pull a pound of carbon out of the ground and put it into the air, when we can re-cycle the carbon already there with ethanol.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but its funny if ethanol ever does "clog a fuel system", its simply because its breaking down what years of junky gasoline have left behind.

I'd personally like to see "blender" pumps where you could, say choose pure gasoline, E15, E40 and E85.

Jus' thinking out loud.

Owners of Flex Fuel engines don't complain when switching to gasoline or E10. If we were driving non Flex engines designed for E95 we'd work up a laundry laundry list of complaints, none of which would sound like yours.

I'd bet that most of the stations and people that think they are getting '100% gas', AREN'T. The station owners don't know EXACTLY where the gas s coming from, often - it's bulk delivery!

I guarantee you you most of it has SOME ethanol in it.

In Ohio I've noticed big stickers on the pump which say "may contain up to 10% ethanol." When I see that, I ride the bike down to the next gas station. I don't worry about ethanol in my car since it's a paid for beater, but I refuse to let my baby drink alcohol.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd bet that most of the stations and people that think they are getting '100% gas', AREN'T. The station owners don't know EXACTLY where the gas s coming from, often - it's bulk delivery!

I guarantee you you most of it has SOME ethanol in it.

I just got back from up and down I-95 from Miami to NYC and surrounding areas and didn't notice stickers on the pump like I see in Florida...I got awesome mileage in the Carolinas and Georgia so I am thinking they do not use the corn juice...I did not notice the stickers in New Jersey either though they might have been there.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
In Ohio I've noticed big stickers on the pump which say "may contain up to 10% ethanol." When I see that, I ride the bike down to the next gas station. I don't worry about ethanol in my car since it's a paid for beater, but I refuse to let my baby drink alcohol.

In Ohio, they don't legally have to post on the pump whether or not there is ethanol in fuel. Therefore, the consumer doesn't know if ethanol is in the fuel (although it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that it is.) I applaud the stations that post it on the pump, at least they are being honest and straight forward. If there is any ethanol free gasoline in the state (except for maybe a few boat docks,) I'd love to know where it is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back