What spark plugs are you running in your mowers?

An RJ19LM can be had for a few dollars and is perfectly suited for the job.
Wally's sells the Autolite equivalents for $1.99, also perfectly serviceable for the job at hand.
Why pay $8 for an E3???

I always have used Champion plugs in OPE, strictly out of convenience and I've never had a problem. I'm considering trying NGK just to try something different after all these years.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Wally's sells the Autolite equivalents for $1.99, also perfectly serviceable for the job at hand.
Why pay $8 for an E3???

The E3 has been in this mower for years now. We bought it used so don't know exactly how old the spark plug is,but it runs great.

wink.gif

My lawn mower has the NGK BR2-LM

NGK makes the best spark plugs
smile.gif

Autolite is the only company that makes iridium spark plugs for small engines. The part number for this application is XST458. This would be my second choice after NGK

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
My lawn mower has the NGK BR2-LM

NGK makes the best spark plugs
smile.gif

Autolite is the only company that makes iridium spark plugs for small engines. The part number for this application is XST458. This would be my second choice after NGK

Yeah I'm going NGK most likely after this summer, but was curious as to what else people are using.
cool.gif

Remember the Champion "One tug plug" for OPE's? They have a smaller center electrode. They call them EZ Start now-a -days. I have one that's at least 10yrs old in my Murray 3.5HP push mower.

Whatever factory is.

I think my 2 stroke LB has a Champion? Not sure on my Briggs. Haven't changed it yet.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
Why pay $8 for an E3???

+1

Ngk bpr4es in my Ferris stand in rider. Kawasaki engine.has the best luck with Champion ez start in a Duraforce 2 stroke Lawn-Boy vs the original NGK plug.

I generally use what the OEM recommends. The OEM I worked for actually did testing with different plugs and brands to see which the engine ran best on, if any. Perhaps they don't all do this, or do this anymore, I don't know.

The only exception is flat head engines. The small Briggs I have I use narrow electrode plugs. We tested them at work and eventually recommended narrow electrode plugs for flat heads. They concentrate the spark, which helps low compression, volumetrically-inefficient engines combust. They start easier & faster, and run smoother.

I wouldn't use coated electrodes - the purpose of coating is to make them last longer (less metal transfer across electrodes). The coating isn't as electrically-conductive as the base metal of the electrode, usually a copper alloy. Coated electrodes are targeted at high hour use engines such as automotive engines that have high voltage ignition systems that can power through the coatings. A small engine may not run as well on them, plus you don't put the hours on them like you do with a car, so you spend more money to make your little engine run worse, and it's only one or two spark plugs anyway.

In fact, the Gen III Ram HEMI engine originally had to use uncoated spark plugs that had to be changed every 30,000 miles because Chrysler didn't put on a big enough coil pack to fire the 2 plugs per cylinder needed to meet EPA exhaust emissions! They since put in bigger coils and now use coated plugs for 100,000 intervals. I change at 50,000 miles - they get fairly pitted by 100,000. I ran both engines. It cost $300 to change plugs!!!

Champion J19LM, J8C and H-10's. I never had a problem with any of them. I stock up cheaply when my favorite drug store has them on sale.

Last edited:
The old Champion J19LM. Fits basically all of my OPE and does the job at a low price. No need for any fancy metals, etc... Cheap, available, and meets the OEM requirements.

my 40 year old lawnboy still has the OE CJ14 plug, it probabaly has at least 1000 hours on it after 40 years. I have not had it our in about 3 years. Still starts on the second pull like all F series engines I have had.

My 10 year old kohler courage has its original plug too. 247 hours last I checked.

Rod

If you are using the equipment as an "average" homeowner, the plug should last the lifetime of the mower/engine.

My Yardmachines Snowking 8hp Tecumseh had its OE plug for 27 years. I pulled it once to look at it, and put it back in.

Gave that unit away to the deliveryman. Housing Rusted, engine still strong.
If you TRUTHFULLY calculate you hours - you dont put that many on the unit so teh plug should last.

If it doesnt

there is a tune issue or a mechanical issue with the engine.

# One tuneup rule of experienced Master Mechanics - Don't mess with Ignition** if it's running well.

**Distributor or ODPE magneto.

Last edited:
NGK standard or V power plugs are terrible.

Fastest eroding ground electrodes on the planet.
I don't think they used a proper steel alloy Like Inconel or Monel.

Even Toyota would spec the much better Nippon Denso

And Subaru and Hyundai would build engines in Japan or Korea with imported U.S.A. made Champions!
The O.E. Ir are alright.

About time the these Japanese figured out how to make decent spark plugs!

I use Champion in all small engines currently. I had only used NGK for years but since switching to Champion the only difference I've noticed is the price.

Back