What sort of fuel economy will that oil give ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still on "viscoelasticity" of multi-grade oils and bearing deform. Would that be all multi-grade engine oils, or just the VII'd ones?
Bearing deform: Can automotive type plain bearings deform and return to their original shape for millions of cycles?
Skip the increased particle generation of mixed and boundary lubrication, and go to bearing fatigue and seizure:
With low viscosity engine oil, would an engine design that dissipated heat away from bearings be better than a design that insulated the bearings?
Dissipating heat away from a bearing would decrease oil temperature, and while doing so, increase friction. Especially during warm up.
The trend for smaller slower rpm engines and longer oil drain intervals:
Would matching the engine power output to the total swept bearing area be a solution instead of going in every direction all at once?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I think people fail to recognize how miniscule the dollar value is.

Exactly. It's there. It's tiny. It can't be measured outside of a lab. But, it is there. It is important when it comes to fleets, since it's a lot harder to control driver habits than it is to control viscosity used.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
While I can appreciate the value of the study cited and realize this is an oil enthusiast site, I still can't get my head around the fixation on x grade of oil giving more miles per gallon. Filling up the tires to max will help on that count much more than what grade of oil I use...

The reality is that going from a 30 oil to a 20 weight oil will save about the same amount of fuel as keeping your tires at the recommended pressure (instead of about 4 psi too low). The effect is about the same. The "fixation" on oil weight is a real effect, just like tires.

A couple of friendly competitions en route to work on Tuesday morning will blow away all the work done in the last week to make fuel economy.

As a professional driver for years, it was tiring and annoying to have to "drive smart" with the throttle foot 12 hrs a day. But that's what they paid for, so that's what they got.

At the end of the day, and on my own dime, I felt really good to spool the turbo en route home. Just to blow off a little steam and change mind set after dealing with cars cutting in front as I tried to break harder with the truck (petro tanker) rather then immolate everyone.

Smart driving was extremely hard, when the general public wants to take advantage of trucks in traffic and fill any little safety space to their advantage ...

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
...Filling up the tires to max will help on that count much more than what grade of oil I use...

Fortunately the enlightened leadership of our great state has already mandated proper tire inflation. No mention of "to max" in the law, though.

One small step for mankind to enhance our "dependence on foreign oil" and "climate change" by potentially reducing fossil fuel consumption.

http://www.catiredealers.com/regulations.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back