What song did I Hear?

I was in a Home Depot, only heard snippet of the song. It was an older piece I must have heard as a kid. Sounded like a black band. All I heard was:

Fly…
Fly…
Fly…
I want to flyyyyy…

Then a guitar solo rips.

What song was this? Sounded like 70s 80s

I was in a Home Depot, only heard snippet of the song. It was an older piece I must have heard as a kid. Sounded like a black band. All I heard was:

Fly…
Fly…
Fly…
I want to flyyyyy…

Then a guitar solo rips.

to help the group narrow things down.... "I must have heard as a kid" can you narrow that date range down a bit?

1950's? 1990's? 2000's? (sorry, but i don't have a clue how old you are....)
yes, you gave what you thought was an approxamite date range, of 70's or 80's, but one of the first suggestions that could def. fit was from 1998...

Fly…
Fly…
Fly…
I want to flyyyyy…

Then a guitar solo rips.

Steve Miller Band "Fly Like An eagle?" Sounds like you heard the end

There is only one song that I know of that has the identical lyrics you posted...
Lou Reed's Dirty Blvd. (also covered by David Bowie, Alejandro Escovedo, Joseph Arthur, Speak Easy, and maybe others)

The "Fly, Fly, Fly Away" lyrics come about 2/3's of the way through the song.
During this time frame he had two of the world's best and most underrated guitar players... **** Wagner and Steve Hunter, both outstanding lead guitarists who worked with many of the top artists including... Alice Cooper, Mitch Ryder, Aerosmith, Jack Bruce, Peter Gabriel, David Lee Roth, Julian Lennon, Dr. John, and MANY others. Lou Reed was no slouch on guitar either.

Last edited:
There is only one song that I know of that has the identical lyrics you posted...
Lou Reed's Dirty Blvd. (also covered by David Bowie, Alejandro Escovedo, Joseph Arthur, Speak Easy, and maybe others)

During this time frame he had two of the world's best and most underrated guitar players... **** Wagner and Steve Hunter, both outstanding lead guitarists who worked with many of the top artists including... Alice Cooper, Mitch Ryder, Aerosmith, Jack Bruce, Peter Gabriel, David Lee Roth, Julian Lennon, Dr. John, and MANY others. Lou Reed was no slouch on guitar either.

That's a GREAT song and I like it!

I think you picked the winner.. I hope OP lets us know!

I have a couple of 45s by "**** Wagner and The Frosts". Maybe from 1967? On the Date record label.

It’s not any of those.
I could of misheard the lyrics.

Let me emphasize some points.

1) sounded like a black band. Think Commodores, Heatwave, Earth Wind and Fire.

2) the sound was like a fusion of funk and r&b. Kinda like play that funky music.

3) I may have the lyrics incorrect, I heard something that repeated trice, sounded like Fly, then “I want to “fly”. Then immediately an electric guitar solo follows.

4) The electric guitar was tuned to sound similar to Michael Jackson’s Beat It guitar solo style.

Wish I had more to go off of!

Groove line, or boogie nights by heatwave is a similar style song.

I don’t think the song is too obscure or unheard of. It was playing at Home Depot. They play fairly well known tunes.

Last edited:
Back