What snowmobile oil are you planning on using this winter?

Just saw this at Canadian Tire. I see that Motul is making inroads with power sport motor oil. What are you planning on using this winter?

290C4FBD-28E6-442D-972D-AA77F816F46A.jpeg

Last edited:
Motomaster conventional injector oil.

I have been running my vintage sleds, saw and trimmer on this for for the past two seasons with what seems like great results. I premix 40 to 50:1.

I had been using Co-op XLS synthetic prior but pss on paying 10 bucks a litre.

We've been using Mystic JT4 for years in everything from stock to high compression turbo mountain sleds. Been a very good oil. Engines get inspected every year. Meaning opened up, not just a compression test.

Was $13 a gallon on sale last time I bought some. Probably be triple that this year.

Any synthetic oil. Currently only have one 2 smoke sled and it's been getting Klotz along with the OPE equipment.
Full synth. oils have served me great since I switched to them back in the '80's. Back then Bel Ray synth. stopped my sticking ring issues in a full modified Polaris 440 free air sled.

Bought 2 boxes of A9 Racing Oils Snowmobile 2T at a really nice price. It should be a German made full synth. oil
Have just an old AC 600cc and no issues last season on that old slead.
Lives in Sweden so i guess that we have a little different oil supply in stores vs. USA

05411611d3afcb21b5381a31b8e101241c56d6af_2_A9_2TSMO_1_0_10.png

Viscosity at 40 deg. C.46.4 cSt
Viscosity at 100 deg. C.7.9 cSt
Viscosity Index 142
Pour point -37 C
Flash point 140 C

API TC / JASO FC / ISO-L-EGC

if you're in a cold enough place where a 2 stroke engine will be in the snow id be more addiment about letting it run for a few minutes and maybe using a little bit more oil than the type of oil. The oil is diluted heavily by gasoline the viscosity won't be an issue but I'd use whatever good value oil you can get.

At wallys a gallon of pretty good pennozil syn blend 2t oil is $20 a gallon. But i use the cheaper supertech gallon.

I've always used just the cheapest conventional 2t oil by the oz I could find and have put an estimated 190-220 hours on my old cheap model Husqvarna trimmer since new. It was still going strong with great compression and power by the time i took it to Mexico to replace the trimmer down there and bought another. And i never warmed it up or anything either. As soon as it started I'd immediately shove it in tall grass and rev it out without caring.

Maybe it was a great quality engine or maybe the cheap oil is honestly good enough for the lower use and run time a 2t typically gets so i think it's the latter.

A gas engine is much more complicated with more components that depend on the oil, and they can see up to 7k hours or more so the oil does undeniably matter more and they aren't as cheap or easy to replace/rebuild. But that's not the case in an occasional use 2t.

I believe full syn is worth it if you plan on using that 2t engine for 1000 hours or more without wanting to rebuild or replace it or if it's a very high performance 2t being used very hard. But most wont ever put that much use or abuse on it.

Back