What Snow Blower Should I Buy For Home Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years with no OPE, I may be buying a snowblower to blow Mom's driveway ... as well as a handful of her immediate neighbors. After reading through this and a couple similar threads, I think I'd go with an Ariens (Dad has 11.5hp 28" residential model I used to use) or a Toro ... 2-stage, about 26" or 28". The driveways, pieced together are only about 100' long ... not very wide. And I'd also do a piece of sidewalk that is that long ... maybe a bit longer (one width only).

I'd like 120V electric start ... just want to be able to hit the button and go. I figure all the bits and pieces will take me an hour or so.

Electric start is nice but not necessary. I find it more of a hassle to plug the cord into the wall, then into the machine, fire up, disconnect and get cord out of the way than to just roll the machine out, give it one pull and away it goes. The B&S snow engines start very easily and run strong too.

boraticus, normally I would agree but:

1) Dad's Ariens 11528 with the 11.5hp Tecumseh Snow King engine WOULD NOT start with the pull starter ... even when warm. I have no idea why ... but I'll always remember that. I've pull started engines of all sizes (even twin-cylinders) in cold weather and usually do not have any problems. This one was really annoying like that.

2) I'll be keeping this in a garage away from home ... I really can't work on the machine much there ... and certainly won't want to do so in the middle of a storm. Really easy starting (in the cold) is a must for this application. I need to get it going at a moment's notice, do my business, then put it away and be off to work, etc ...

I can do maintenance in the spring, fall, etc ...

I too have experienced starting issues with the larger flat head Tecumseh snowblowers. They're not easy to pull start. The ~8yr/old 10hp at my Mom's can be a bear. In fact, she can't use it at all now that the E-start is inop. The teeth are gone on the starter gear.

Keeping up with the spirit of "what snow blower should I buy", I recently had more experience than I cared to gain on two new Honda 2-stage models. A HS928WAS (wheeled model) and a HS1132TAS (tracked model).

We have these on hand at the plant to use between snow removal crew visits, or in conjunction with, since they never seem to get around the equipment that I need to be around !@@#$. Given the snow we've had this winter, I've had to use them several times under different conditions.

I just can't get used to the position of the controls on the Hondas. I'm used to machines with the auger control handlebar lever on the left, the motion control to the right and the discharge rotation rod to the left. It's all complete opposite on the Hondas, so I find myself continuously fumbling over the controls. Being hydrostatic drive, there's no free-wheeling ability so you have to 'drive' the buggers everywhere which is a royal pain in the butt. You can't just roll it backwards to make a quick pass. You've got to take your hand off either the motion or the auger deadman to change speed/direction. Inevitably, I'd release the auger control by mistake causing me to plow as opposed to blow with a direction change.

The shells don't feel overly thick on the Hondas, but they are put together well, are heavy and they sure do blow some snow. Traction is great on them too, wheeled or tracked. I do find the engines quite loud on them when they are throttled up. They seemed to have gone smaller on the mufflers, but it could be just the heat shielding that's smaller. Both the 9 and 11hp seem to run lean. Throttle response is crisp, but if you flip it down to idle from max governed engine speed, you get some blue flame popping out of the exhaust on them.

I guess to sum it up, my #1 complaint would be the lack of free-wheeling ability because of the hydrostatic drive. In time you'd get used to the controls, but not being able to roll a small(ish) machine like this makes you work even harder. If you had very long, straight passes to blow it great, but in tight spots with maneuvering required you work harder than you need to.

Joel

The ability to freewheel while backing up is essential for me as well.

My Simplicity weighs around 280 lbs. On flat level ground it's easy enough to roll backward. Throw in any kind of uphill grade and it's extremely difficult to pull. Much of the snow removal I do calls exactly for that kind of action. I can pull it for a while but it soon gets just too laborious.

When I tire out, I start to use reverse which is excruciatingly slow. Drives me nuts. Accordingly, I bought a brand new Toro 221QE to do the driveway 90% of the time. What a breeze using the single stage. It's easier to use than a lawn mower and can move an astonishing amount of snow for it's size and power.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Electric start is nice but not necessary. I find it more of a hassle to plug the cord into the wall, then into the machine, fire up, disconnect and get cord out of the way than to just roll the machine out, give it one pull and away it goes. The B&S snow engines start very easily and run strong too.

Glad I have the electric start now. I tried to restart it yesterday.... Cord broke. But the electric start is finnicky too- takes 3 tries. First two it just spins and catches when I let it go, and turns the engine over on the 3rd try. Not happy.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I bought a brand new Toro 221QE to do the driveway 90% of the time. What a breeze using the single stage. It's easier to use than a lawn mower and can move an astonishing amount of snow for it's size and power.

You can't argue about the abilities of these small Toros. There's times I wish I hadn't 'Craig's Listed' my Toro CCR2000 (which sold in no time at all).

The only thing I didn't like about the 2-stroke powered Toro was the 2 cycle stink that little Suzuki blasted out. The whole winter time air density thing makes it even worse sticking to your clothing, etc. You definitely have to wear clothing you don't mind stinking up.

Regardless of that, a little tank of fuel lasts a long time on them given the work they'll do.

Nick, you're having a rough time with that snowblower! Is that the LCT powered one?

Joel

Last edited:
I just bought a Toro 421R. Nice unit, would have preferred the 221 with the 2 stroke, but they are not available (and supposedly 2010 models are the last they will produce of the R-Tek 2 stroke). Starts up easy, love the paddles. Cleans right down to the concrete and has plenty of power. Light fluffy snow throws a good 20+ feet. Breaks up compacted snow reasonably well for a single stage. We only get light-moderate snow here in KC so no need for a 2 stage blower.

I've had an 8 horsepower 2 stage and found it hard to get into small areas and hard to move etc....I bought a Toro single stage 7 hp and never been happier. It throws snow 35 ft and when its slushy out I just spray chute with W40 so snow won't stick. My Toro will will chew through 4 ft. drifts etc. The best part is easy to store or if you need service can throw it in a car trunk or small suv saving pickup charges.
smile.gif

So, brands to consider for decent durability right now would be Toro, Ariens and Simplicity? Anything else? The Poulon-made machines look cheap/flimsy and I really am leary of anything made by MTD.

If money is no object and you don't mind a track machine, Yamaha cannot be beat. Honda would be next.

Honda also make a wheeled machine.

The above are excellent performers but ridiculously expensive.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
So, brands to consider for decent durability right now would be Toro, Ariens and Simplicity? Anything else? The Poulon-made machines look cheap/flimsy and I really am leary of anything made by MTD.

im a BIG mtd hater!! but their snow blowers seem pretty good to me, really for price vs amount of time youll actually use it i believe its right on target. No doubt boraticus made excellent reccomendations, but pricey. Usually at my Lowes they have a troybilt or 2 that have been returned for whatever reason, for 100 or 200 off, with full warranty

I am actually at the point where I am getting ready to replace my 96 24" MTD Yard Machine w/ Techumsa motor. This snow blower has been one of the best things I have ever bought. $479 back in 96 and other than oil & plug changes, shear pins, and belts I have had to do nothing to it. It owes me nothing. It has done the job of a much larger snow blower without missing a beat.

The Techumsa motor is probably the best small engine I have ever had. It still starts on one pull even after sitting all winter and runs like a top. Unfortunately, the rest of the machine is failing. I figure to sell it while I can still get something for it towards a new one.

I looked at another MTD 1st. I like the current ones all but for the new engines. I have concerns with the China engine. It is a real shame Techumsa has gone OOB. They made amazing small engines. I don't like the Ariens, Poulen, and John Deer models I have seen at all. The Toro's seem ok, although I do not care for their discharge shute setup and range on the models I looked at, but this is the only place I have read anything good about them. Everywhere else they are labeled as nothing but junk? The only other ones I have looked at that seem ok are Craftsman with B&S engines.

This has been a horrific winter here in NH and it has taken 2-3 years of life out of my snow blower so sadly it is time to replace it. Looks like I will either chance another MTD with the China engine or go with a Craftsman and the B&S.

Note - like so many other product mfg's these days it appears the snow blower mfg's are forcing things on you that you may not want too. Just about everything I have looked at that meets my needs and wants is electric start. Don't want it and won't use it. Just adds extra $$$ to the cost of the machine I don't need to spend. If the machine won't start easily with the pull start I wouldn't buy it. They can keep their electric start and stuff it.

Last edited:
hemi, alot of the "series" engines by briggs are chondas, you can tell for sure by this....the blocks have imperfections and paint is used to cover it up, that said, some of those chondas are proving themselves quite well. as for craftsman, theyre made by american yard products (electrolux) wich makes the poulan that borr jace is reffering to

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
hemi, alot of the "series" engines by briggs are chondas, you can tell for sure by this....the blocks have imperfections and paint is used to cover it up, that said, some of those chondas are proving themselves quite well. as for craftsman, theyre made by american yard products (electrolux) wich makes the poulan that borr jace is reffering to

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

These are the machines I have narrowed my list down to...

MTD Yard Machine $649
24" 179CC Powermore OHV 2-Stage

blower1.jpg

MTD Yard Machine $699
26" 208CC Powermore OHV 2-Stage

blower2.jpg

MTD Gold $699
24" 179CC Powermore OHV 2-Stage Headlight & Heated Grips

blower4.jpg

MTD Gold $849
26" 208CC Powermore OHV 2-Stage Headlight & Heated Grips

blower3.jpg

Craftsman $599 ( This appears to be a rebadged MTD upon closer inspection??? )
24" 179CC Craftsman OHV 2-Stage
blower5.jpg

Sears Yardman $699 ( This appears to be a rebadged MTD upon closer inspection??? )
24" 179CC Yardman OHV 2-Stage Headlight
blower6.jpg

Last edited:
i can't enough about Honda snow blowers. I am going on 8 years with my HS724; two stage w/ tracks. It hasn't required anything beyond oil changes and a shear pin (nice buried branch). this years has been quite the test up here.

after owning others, I'd recommend spending the money for the best unit for your needs...took me while to learn that.

w

hemi, id have to agree those sears do appear to be very much mtd, and yardman is an mtd brand, no doubt youre right on that, but typically craftsman is ayp, either way the briggs block/imperfections/paint is an obvious way to tell of the origin of the engine, that said, i still like mtd blowers but HATE their mowers

I have to add my opinion I have an Ariens its 8 years old it has a Techumseh 8hp engine on it. It has been awesome. My Neighbor accross the street has a Murray with the same engine there machine has been great. I will say the Ariens throws the snow farther. I do notknow why it mioght just be the design of the chute. I just changed a belt it cost $12 dollars and took me about 30 minutes the machine still has no rust and works like an animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back