What sized oil drain plug on 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI?

I am looking to change the oil on our new Jetta at 1000 miles. I already purchased the oil and filter (both OEM) but can not find out what size the drain plug is. Can anyone confirm the size?

If you know what size Torx bits fit the belly pan that would be appreciated also. It has a belly pan that has to be removed to change the oil, one more step lol.

Maybe get an extractor a since it is a top mounted filter. Save the time and danger putting it on ramps/jackstands. Do the job in about 20 minutes and not even get dirty if you wear gloves. Something Like this or its equivalent.
I just recently bought one and I have a car lift. If I'm only changing the oil on top filtered vehicles, it's what I use now.

Oil extractor is not recommended per OM. Also don't think you can get a tube down the dipstick tube and the filter is not on top.

You're gonna need a filter wrench, AST is a nice one.

Drain plug is definitely 19mm (get a new one so you can use the crush washers) T20 and T45 sounds right.

And: don't change it at 1000 it is a waste of money at the very least.

Thanks for the report.
It said your oil did well and had an OK TBN. And this was after you ran it 9,6xx miles.
All things being equal, dumping FF at the 1,000 mile mark would be wasteful.

If I had this car new and drove like you apparently do, I'd change the FF at/close to the 10,000 VW recommended too.
Horrid break-in conditions? I'd have it tested. I believe clean oil = turbocharger health.

His new car his choice. The cost of an oil change is cheap peace of mind for an OCD car guy like greg24. He'd probably send the FF oil to anyone who'd pay shipping!

Yup, definitely his choice his car.

VW is very explicit not to change it early though and the FF doesn’t appear to match Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE at least. (Can’t remember if we have a VOA of the new Mobil)

BTW there appear to be 2 possible filter suppliers, the MHL looks like a better filter if you have any choice.

Yup, definitely his choice his car.

VW is very explicit not to change it early though and the FF doesn’t appear to match Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE at least. (Can’t remember if we have a VOA of the new Mobil)

BTW there appear to be 2 possible filter suppliers, the MHL looks like a better filter if you have any choice.

This is the first I am hearing of this. I know Honda says to keep the initial fill in for the full OCI, but never heard of VW stating that. Does it say that in our manual?

This is the first I am hearing of this. I know Honda says to keep the initial fill in for the full OCI, but never heard of VW stating that. Does it say that in our manual?

Believe it is in the maintenance guide.

My dealer(s) (for the TDI and the new Jetta) were adamant as well though.

I am looking to change the oil on our new Jetta at 1000 miles. I already purchased the oil and filter (both OEM) but can not find out what size the drain plug is. Can anyone confirm the size?

If you know what size Torx bits fit the belly pan that would be appreciated also. It has a belly pan that has to be removed to change the oil, one more step lol.

🤔🤔

all of our 2020 jetta’s have plastic oil pans.

🤔🤔

all of our 2020 jetta’s have plastic oil pans.

That is weird Adam my 2019 is steel:

04E115561Hb13.jpeg

EA888's have plastic though I think?

Also to the OP - pour slow or get a 1/4 turn funnel....

Last edited:
Back