What size bar.

Alright. Dumb question of the day. I haven't bought a chain for a chain saw for decades. I just sharpen mine when I need it. There isn't a stamp on this bar anywhere (on this 'found' saw) to tell me what size it is. It's on a Stihl Wood Boss. Any of you kind folks set me straight?

Attachments

• IMG_4994.JPG
    IMG_4994.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 39
Since you have a chain that fits, measure its three critical dimensions and match a new one to it. The dimensions are:
Number of drive links: These are the teeth on the inside of the chain that engage the sprocket.
Pitch: With the chain pulled taut and straight, measure between the same point on two drive links and divide by 2.
Gauge: The thickness of a drive link, matching the width of the slot in the bar.

How you measure a bar is usually from the tip of the bar back to where it meets the saw, and is considered the usable length of the bar. From your picture it looks to be an 18" bar. The bar will usually have a part number or chain pitch, gauge, and drive link numbers stamped into the bar which can help determine what chain you need.

Or take the chain to a saw shop and let them give you the right one . Keep the package so you will know next time .

IMO, if you have a chain take it to your local hardware store and ask for a new one. You could take the bar and saw as well just to be safe. We have a True Value hardware store in town that is great for this kind of stuff.

As previously stated the bar should be stamped with the pitch on it.

just my $0.02

Since it is a Stihl bar there is a part number, gauge, pitch and driver count on it. Should be laser etched by the mount and will be just in front of the slot.

Now that I think about it it might just be painted on but I think the part number is stamped somewhere.

Looks like it is .325 pitch .63 gauge. Just count the drivers.

Back