What should I use to lube these Stihl Attachments?

Each of these Stihl attachments have a threaded cover into which lubricant should be added to keep the tool's internals lubricated and running smoothly. I do not have the manual for any of these attachments, so I do not know what Stihl recommends. Does anyone know what Stihl recommends, or have a suggestion? I was thinking of using a thick gear lube, like Amsoil's SAE 250 racing gear lube. How well would this work? Any other suggestions?

btanchors

boraticus - I do not have a manual for any of these, which is why I was inquiring... Bayman - If you use grease, are you able to force enough into the opening to sufficiently lube the internals? This is why I was considering a thick gear lube as I could "drip" it into the hole...

Originally Posted By: btanchors
boraticus - I do not have a manual for any of these, which is why I was inquiring... Bayman - If you use grease, are you able to force enough into the opening to sufficiently lube the internals? This is why I was considering a thick gear lube as I could "drip" it into the hole...
Have you tried to find a manual/recommendation from the Stihl website? Often the manufacturers site will have recommended lubes for what you need to do. I have a Stihl brush cutter and I think it calls for gear lube similar to that used in outboard bottom ends.

Stihl has two different greases for these applications. One is specifically for helical gears, like the head of your string trimmer, and the other grease is specifically for planetary gears, like your hedgetrimmer uses. Both greases come in small tubes that thread into the gear box, making it easy to squeeze some in. Your local Stihl dealer will be the place to find them. Or I could send you some if you can't find it locally.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Stihl has two different greases for these applications. One is specifically for helical gears, like the head of your string trimmer, and the other grease is specifically for planetary gears, like your hedgetrimmer uses. Both greases come in small tubes that thread into the gear box, making it easy to squeeze some in. Your local Stihl dealer will be the place to find them. Or I could send you some if you can't find it locally.
I would go with what hate2work has said, my trimmer is an Echo Trimmer. I just get the grease gun out, and then I force alittle bit of grease, it does not take much grease.

the hedge trimmer uses both lubricants, one on the shaft side and one on the head side. I have never added or replaced the lubricant and don't think I'll ever have to.