What should I use in my 95 z28 camaro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was previously using gc with great results but my local autozone no longer carries it. I'm almost done with the auto-rx treatment and I'm trying to figure out what the best stuff to use is along with what weight. It currently has 143,000 miles. It calls for 5w-30 but I think with brands such as M1, 5w-30 is too thin for the lt1 engine. Plus it has higher milage so I'm not sure if that affects what weight I should use. Any opinions?

I think I've read some have used M1 0w-40 in their LT1/LS1/etc. with good results. I think those engines tend to do good with a slightly thicker oil, of which both GC and the M1 fit the bill nicely. As for the M1 5w-30 being too thin, that's not the case any longer. The older SL was in the low 10's, whereas the SM version sits right at or slightly above 11 cSt. If you're worried about the higher mileage, there's always Valvoline Maxlife. It's in the thick(er) range of the 30 wt's.

I have heard lots of good thing about the xl series from Amsoil. Pablo might chime in or you could contact him.

seeing as how you have a GM Vehicle, 10w30, without a doubt. forget mobil 1 , try something like pitt penn 10w30
smile.gif

I would say 10W-30 if your engine had lower miles, but as it may, Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 would do you real nice. As always... JMO
smile.gif

Maybe some Rotella T 5w40 synthetic? I understand that this oil is probably group 3 and that it has a robust additive package. Walmarts have it,usually. Rickey.

quote:

Originally posted by NYC32798:
It calls for 5w-30 but I think with brands such as M1, 5w-30 is too thin for the lt1 engine. Plus it has higher milage so I'm not sure if that affects what weight I should use. Any opinions?

The Mobil 1 5W-30 is thicker than the 10W-30 version at 100ºC. On top of that, you get better start up protection using 5W-30 as opposed to 10W-30.

Well, I don't have an LT1, but I do have a hi mileage SBC in my 88 IROC Camaro. My little LB9 runs well on M1, either their 5W30, or the T&SUV, and I have 160k on the clock. Doesn't leak a single drop, but it does burn some off between changes. Not enough to see visible smoke, obviously. Bottom end is solid and dead quiet. The only noise you hear is the clicking of the injector solenoids. I do use either VSOT or SLOB to bump up the add pack. Can't beat SLOB, 2 bux at the local Big Lots.

Next change I'm going with PP to give it a try. And I might even try MaxLife Syn.

My brother's '96 Z28 with the LT1 has tended to live here part of the time, so I drive it around. Last oil change I put M1 5W-30 in it. It runs just fine when hot, but doesn't have much control of those nice high-performance pistons on warm-up. I can see why people like the stickier and somewhat thicker GC in this engine.

I suggest a roadtrip in search of GC, or get your AZ to order a case of it for you. GC seems like a natural for this engine, and I will use it next time in the LT1. BTW previous owners used Syntec 5W-30 in this engine, and it is beyond spotless and runs perfect with no oil usage at 86K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back