What should I use for my 02 Chevrolet Trailblazer with 130k+ miles?

As the title states, what should I use for my trailblazer? I am thinking either 5w30 or 10w30 Super Tech High Mileage Full Synthetic oil with an ACDelco oil filter. What do you guys think?

What part of the world do you live in ?

If your budget will allow , I recommend a Dexos specification full synthetic oil . If it is leaking , maybe a high mileage oil ?

What part of the world do you live in ?

If your budget will allow , I recommend a Dexos specification full synthetic oil . If it is leaking , maybe a high mileage oil ?

I live in the United States. Would Super Tech Full Synthetic High Mileage be good for this application?

I live in the United States. Would Super Tech Full Synthetic High Mileage be good for this application?
Wanting to know if you are north or south … that’s related to the 10w30 being thicker in the winter …
(up north) … HM oils can be even on the thick side of range …

The point of the question of where you live, is to better determine if you need something more suited for the brutal winter cold of Minot, North Dakota... or the brutal summer heat of Death Valley, California.

Just providing a state or region (for example: upper midwest or southwest) would be sufficient.

The point of the question of where you live, is to better determine if you need something more suited for the brutal winter cold of Minot, North Dakota... or the brutal summer heat of Death Valley, California.

Just providing a state or region (for example: upper midwest or southwest) would be sufficient.
West Virginia is my state. I think at most it gets to be maybe 20 degrees, and that’s pushing it. In the manual it says 10w30 is suitable down to 0 degrees.

Thicker oil = more protection, right?
The 5w allows the oil to get where it needs to be a tad faster. Pumpability and time are the key factors on the low temps side of oil.
The 30 side is the same for both grades.

3 basic steps, forget the rest of the mumbo-jumbo.
  1. Any cots of recommended service category (or better) & grade shall suffice.
  2. UOA's will tell you how long an oil is good for, for your use in your environment (see note below)
  3. Use a quality filter, change oil when needed.

note: A UOA may say TBN and rest of the oil parts are good, but in dusty environments the oil may have high silica and other stuff in the oil, which may dictate changing oil more often. When to change IS ALWAYS a "it depends". You need at least 2-3 UOA's to get a general idea on how the oil is doing, then you can decide when to change it or even perhaps change brands. I have always used Valvoline oil for past 25yrs, never had an issue, and now I am doing 1yr/10kmi oil changes (whichever comes 1st).

Last edited:
Back