What should be a domestic beater car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a Civic as a beater car, was wondering about any domestic one which is comparable to Civic in terms of maintenance cost and gas mileage?

What is the input from you guys or have any suggestions about any small domestic car?

Of course, being easy to work on without any major engine/transmission work is the key
smile.gif

Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Pontiac Vibe first gen, but that's a Toyota Matrix in disguise.

Can't really compare with a Civic in terms of gas mileage
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Indyvwhonda
Ford Focus; Chevrolet Cruzebaltalier

You mean Chevy cruze and cavalier? How are these in terms of their transmission and engine life? Are parts cheap for them?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

You mean Chevy cruze and cavalier? How are these in terms of their transmission and engine life? Are parts cheap for them?

Parts are cheap, engine and transmission are good, the rest of the car is junk

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Parts are cheap, engine and transmission are good, the rest of the car is junk

Lol, that's funny. Should be considered or no?

+1.

Those Vibes have turned out to be tanks.

Just don't do what a good friend of mine did, never checked the oil and seized the engine at around 160,000.

What a shame, thing ran great. We were going to school together in Bowling Green, Ohio and she was from Wyoming. She drove that thing back and forth all the time and it never gave her a bit of trouble.

Last edited:
Ford Focus;

... in wagon form.... = truck space with a cover + all availability of parts of cheaply available car....

Looking at the True Delta info, it appears at least for the Ford Focus, it depends on the year:

http://www.truedelta.com/Honda-Civic-vs-Ford-Focus-reliability-comparison,109-88

You say you have a 2003 and 2006 Civic in your signature. One model year, the Focus has fewer repairs / 100 cars, another model year the Civic is the winner when it comes to repairs.

I'm assuming for 10+ year old economy cars, parts are probably similar in costs, so repair frequency plays a role here. I.E. they both probably need timing belts around the same time, brakes, tires, etc.

true, but built in Cali at the NUMMI plant(Now the Tesla factory) same engine & trans as the similar gen(2003-2006?) Corolla. and largely the same as the prior gen Corolla, and Geo/Chevy Prism.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Looking at the True Delta info, it appears at least for the Ford Focus, it depends on the year:

http://www.truedelta.com/Honda-Civic-vs-Ford-Focus-reliability-comparison,109-88

You say you have a 2003 and 2006 Civic in your signature. One model year, the Focus has fewer repairs / 100 cars, another model year the Civic is the winner when it comes to repairs.

I'm assuming for 10+ year old economy cars, parts are probably similar in costs, so repair frequency plays a role here. I.E. they both probably need timing belts around the same time, brakes, tires, etc.

Thanks, that's helpful link. Fortunately, 06 Civic has timing chain and not a belt!

Going to read the link.

Thanks, that's helpful link. Fortunately, 06 Civic has timing chain and not a belt!

Going to read the link.

I believe the same is true for the 2006 Focus. Around that time they got the Duratec 2.0L engine that uses a timing chain.

Going to read the link.

I believe the same is true for the 2006 Focus. Around that time they got the Duratec 2.0L engine that uses a timing chain.

are these the ones with the "strange" one big box (change at 150k miles) air filter assembly?

The focus 2.0 engine was in 13 models when I saw when was shopping for a replacement for the 2012 Transit. Mazda had three models using it. I was able to get a used engine with 7k on it for $600. Could have went with one that had 30k on it for $400 delivered. Was a better option then fixing a bad lifter on a engine with 179k as we had to rebuild the tranny too.

If you can find an '05 to '11 or so focus with the Duratec 2.0 in good shape that's an excellent choice. Fuel filter can be a pain to change though. Same thing with a Cruze or cobalt, minus the fuel filter part.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Going to read the link.

are these the ones with the "strange" one big box (change at 150k miles) air filter assembly?

Are you talking about Civic or Focus? Not sure about focus, but filter for Civic is right behind EGR valve and next to motor.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
The focus 2.0 engine was in 13 models when I saw when was shopping for a replacement for the 2012 Transit. Mazda had three models using it. I was able to get a used engine with 7k on it for $600. Could have went with one that had 30k on it for $400 delivered. Was a better option then fixing a bad lifter on a engine with 179k as we had to rebuild the tranny too.

Thanks, my main question or concern is ease to work on, like a Civic or Accords - for the most part, gas mileage and cheaper parts
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back