What sealant to use?

Had a diff seal replacement go terribly wrong and took the bearing out with it. I have everything apart and am just waiting on parts to put back together.

What sealant should I use? Just some gear oil rated rtv? Here’s the axle tube. Looks like they used a reddish clear sealant.

4CD84785-4A77-4516-BC9F-1FBA1C9DAACB.jpeg

Perfect job for Hylomar M. Unaffected by oils, fuels, gear and trans fluids, etc.

I guess I was hoping for a local option.
Gear oil rated RTV is no good or should be be anaerobic like suggested below?

OE was probably anaerobic but it looks like you have a bit of corrosion on the bottom in that picture and anaerobic sealers are not especially good at gap filling. If you can find a place where there is no pitting or rust around the whole surface then sure that would be a good way to go, it is a good sealer and very oil resistant but the mating surface needs to be close to pristine.
If not then use the RTV.

Ultra grey is the newest product from Permatex that is ideal for that. Ultra black next. stay away from regular RTV Blue, it has corrosive agents that will effect the metal. Permatex rep told me they shouldn't even sell Blue silicone anymore.

Permatex Aviation Forma Gasket works fine with surface pitting. Non-Hardening with a 10 minute "skin" I'm thinking of making it my avatar because I promote it so often :cool:

Perfect job for Permatex ultra black or ultra grey, you can use it in many places and it's pretty much available everywhere. Even regular oil resistant RTV will work fine, it was the standard for decades. That rep claim that regular blue RTV corrodes metal is a bunch of hot air in the service of upselling ultra grey/black, if regular blue RTV actually corroded metal then Permatex wouldn't be in the business of making regular blue RTV.

Back