What Say BITOG on Choice of New Dishwasher to Get?

Need a new dishwasher.

Approx 6 yr old Bosch 50 decibel model has a borked circulation pressure pump. New part is $200 + shipping and the drain pump has been getting noisy lately as well, suspect it's next. Not going to put the repair $$ into it when a new Bosch of the same model is $499 on sale at the moment. If the drain pump goes next, which I feel is likely, I'd be putting just north of $300 into it. Given the 5 - 7 yr planned obsolescence of major appliances today, think we're just going to replace it.

What does BITOG say regarding who's hot and who's not on quality and equally important, silent operation, in the realm of dishwashers?

Suppose the easy answer is slide in another one of the same thing, since they're on sale for $499 and they're quiet and clean well (this one was before pump death).

Probably at that price point, going with the Bosch is your best bet.
Though we have a Bosch, I think we are going back to Whirlpool for our next one.

IMO every manufacturer can have a dog in their lineup so Look for online reviews from actual owners of specific models you're interested in.. Last one I bought was a GE before it became a Chinese company. It runs so quietly i must put my ear right up to it to make sure it is running.

Bosch!

Went through several of the other brand dishwashers over the years and Bosch is the only one I'll buy from now on.

I'd go for a whirlpool. We have Kitchen-aid appliances which are rebadged Whirlpool. Parts are easy to get and probably cheaper. Needed to buy a new pump for the dishwasher and got a re-manufactured one for around $80 bucks before shipping.

We've had our KitchenAid for about 6 months, and it is excellent. Very low noise, and the only thing it doesn't seem to clean well is melted cheese stuck on knives, which is fair.

My in-laws have had Fisher & Paykel dishwashers in their last few houses. They are amazingly silent.

I think I'd go to consumer reports with this inquiry. It may cost you a little bit, but they do a THOROUGH testing job. Most "american" brands, whirlpool/kitchen aid/maytag...ad nauseum, were made in Canada by Electrolux. Nothing wrong with that except they are pretty much the same internally. That production MAY have gone to China by now.

The Korean brands might be better, as in Samsung/LG, but consumer reports would be my goto on that.

I got the Whirlpool Gallery stuff at Homely Depot, and it's OK. Very quiet, everything works.

But somebody should tell you up front just exactly WHERE the dishwasher vent is. I suspect somewhere under the countertop. I feel I am in for a HUGE mold surprise someday!

Originally Posted by Tdbo
Probably at that price point, going with the Bosch is your best bet.
Though we have a Bosch, I think we are going back to Whirlpool for our next one.

I'll do more research when the time comes, but it's hard to beat what works well and our '07 Bosch washer works well.

What makes you want to switch?

Originally Posted by JC1
I'd go for a whirlpool. We have Kitchen-aid appliances which are rebadged Whirlpool. Parts are easy to get and probably cheaper. Needed to buy a new pump for the dishwasher and got a re-manufactured one for around $80 bucks before shipping.

How old was your dishwasher at the time? Consumer Reports' recently discussed how far dishwashers have come in the past decade. I'm going to do an ROI analysis on our '07 Bosch to see how it compares to newer models........HOWEVER, there's something to be said for something that just works and keeps working, even if it's not the most efficient. I'm not saying a newer model will be less durable, but there's always the risk of getting a model that's less reliable than what you currently have.

I can tell you which one NOT to get....Kenmore. I replaced the pump in my last one after 6 months and when it was less than a year old it was leaking water all over the floor from the bottom of the door.

Back