What Rental cars have Impressed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and which have Not?

Ever drive a rental and think to yourself along the lines of ... hmmm this is pretty fun; I'd like one of these 5 or 10 years down the road if I could pick one up for cheap?

And on the opposite spectrum, if you ever had a rental where you're like, wow, I'd never want to drive one of these on a regular basis--then feel free to share too.

Drove a 2009 Camry, loved it. Very solid and quiet.
Rented a 2009 Corolla for a 4 day weekend, did long distance, pretty good on the highway, and 42MPG was amazing.

On the other hand, rented a dodge caliber 2-3 years ago, hated it. Small cabin, BIG blind spots, drank gas like a pig.

Rented an Impala for a cross country trip a few years ago, even with a light foot, got 20MPG on the highway, will never try that car again!

Rented a Hyundai Elantra 2 years ago in Puerto Rico. It was better than I thought it'd be. I liked the gauges, and the AT shifted well - nice and firm.

Not really in my wheelhouse for a car to own, but it wasn't bad.

Toyota Rav4. Nice total package.
08 impala 3.9 with leather, ditto.
2002 camaro 3.8 convertible: 35 MPG, would do 100 easy. Lengthy doors were trouble in parking lots. They didn't give me the remote for the alarm so I had to jump in and turn the ignition key within ~10 seconds.
Hyundai Sonata: 4 cyl honestly felt like a 6. Well sorted HVAC: would give you AC with DEF but you could cancel it with the button.

Now for the partial, if not total, disappointments:

2004ish taurus: Handled great, guzzled gas.
2009ish pontiac g6: horrible DBW
Chrysler Pacifica: blind spots everywhere
Dodge charger 3.5: drove great, liked the RWD, powerful brakes, tons of blind spots.
Dodge Neon, 220 miles to a tank, at least indicated on gauge. Rented in Vegas, drove through desert, wanted more range.
Jeep Liberty: No light around ignition key hole or around/behind many controls. B-pillar and roof closing in on driving position.
UHaul box truck on Chevy 454 cab: CEL on, voltmeter jumping in time with blinkers, new "Uhaul" brand alternator crimped in with quick connects, some jerk dropped a bowling ball on the hood. Can't slam GM on it, but I wouldn't buy a used one.
lol.gif

2002 ish Kia Optima: Mouse fur felt junk on the headliner AND carpet.
2001 Avalon: Huge purple video screen in the dash was distracting at night. Found the off switch minutes before turning it in.
1993 Tempo: 8k miles, had a shimmy, electric gas door wouldn't open. Ford put a emergency cable release in the trunk for this very scenario!

Vehicles I disliked:

-1999 Honda CR-V: No torque. None. Was loud and felt cheap (doors felt too light...etc). I also disliked the controls. Gas mileage was good however. Fit and finish was decent but what was used for interior surfaces could have been better.

-200x Pontiac Sunfire: had two different ones as rentals. Felt cheap, was loud, touchy throttle that gave you the "illusion" of power, but when you got on it.... there wasn't any. I hated this car.

-Dodge Nitro: Not really my rental, my sisters. Dear God. Visibility was horrible (TINY windows!) and interior felt like it was designed by somebody with an obsession with lego and anime.

-2008 Chevy Impala: Not really my rental (again), my dad's. Nice riding car, but the interior felt cheap, and the surround for the shifter came off
crazy2.gif

-2009 Toyota Yaris: I posted pictures of this legend on here and got called a liar. It had horrible panel fitment, dash fitment, radio fitment, and the controls on the column felt like they were going to break off in your hand. It felt cheaper than a K-car.

Vehicles I liked:

2007 (IIRC) Ford Fusion SE V6 AWD: Was fantastic in snow, very well appointed, well laid-out and rode well.

2011 Ford Escape: Very nicely laid-out, nice interior, quality was good, rode well. Would have opted for the V6 however. The I4 was merely "adequate".

2011 Dodge Caravan: Very nicely laid-out, very nice interior, quiet, good panel fitment, ride quality was excellent.

Jetta Diesel on a rental? How long that lasted? I would imagine some dufus is going to put gas in it when he hurriedly goes to fill it to avoid the refueling charges.

The nicest rental I ever had was a Cadillac Deville. I reserved a mid-size, but they were out, so upgraded me for free, and save a cargo van, the Deville was all they had left.

I also really liked a Nissan Murano I rented once. It was new...had like six miles on it.

I also rather liked a Pontiac Grand Am I had once on a trip to DC. I liked the Ecotec 4-cylinder, even if the rest of the interior was pretty inexpensive.

The ones I've liked the least were a Ford F-150 (uncomfortable seat) and the older Ford Tauruses. Seems like I always got stuck in a Taurus. I'd much rather have a Fusion.

We had a buick lacrosse this summer. It was loaded, had the V6. I'm a ford man but this car really made me think of buying one when it's time to replace a car.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
On the other hand, rented a dodge caliber 2-3 years ago, hated it. Small cabin, BIG blind spots, drank gas like a pig.

Well the AWD (if that model had it) usually takes about 2 to 3 mpg off the mileage. Too bad to hear about the Blind Spots; good/bad visibility is one of those top things that makes me like or dislike a car. The Caliber was on my list of "would be nice to own someday as used car"; it looks roomy enough, outside styling looks good, and it had 4 cyl; good to hear the accounts of its serious flaws though.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

-200x Pontiac Sunfire: had two different ones as rentals. Felt cheap, was loud, touchy throttle that gave you the "illusion" of power, but when you got on it.... there wasn't any. I hated this car.

Man, I loved this car (I rented an equivalent Chevy Cavalier) I thought it was zippy as eff and really a blast to drive; but yes, I guess the throttle did play that trick on you of making you think it's more powerfull than actually is by being so excessively sensitive near closed throttle. With a Manual transmission option though, I bet this engine would have way way plenty power still though. As for loud I love that in a car; I could do with no road noise but I want to hear the engine.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Originally Posted By: FirstNissan

Well the AWD (if that model had it) usually takes about 2 to 3 mpg off the mileage. Too bad to hear about the Blind Spots; good/bad visibility is one of those top things that makes me like or dislike a car. The Caliber was on my list of "would be nice to own someday as used car"; it looks roomy enough, outside styling looks good, and it had 4 cyl; good to hear the accounts of its serious flaws though.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Man, I loved this car (I rented an equivalent Chevy Cavalier) I thought it was zippy as eff and really a blast to drive; but yes, I guess the throttle did play that trick on you of making you think it's more powerfull than actually is by being so excessively sensitive near closed throttle. With a Manual transmission option though, I bet this engine would have way way plenty power still though. As for loud I love that in a car; I could do with no road noise but I want to hear the engine.

Maybe with the ecotec sure, that was a pretty peppy motor in the cavalier, my grandmother and grandfather both had one with that engine. My personal experience was the old 2.2L OHV with 3 speed automatic. Not nearly as much fun.

Impressed:
Dodge Charger
Chrysler 300
Mercedes E class
Mercedes C class
Jaguar XJ8
Cadillac CTS
Chevy Suburban
Chevy Traverse
Buick Enclave
GMC Yukon XL
Cadillac STS
Cadillac SRX
Volvo S80
Volvo XC70

Fun:
Mustang convertible
Lincoln LS (no longer in the fleet...too bad...loved it)

Not bad:
Chevy Malibu
Ford Taurus (new)
Ford F150
Nissan Altima
Nissan Murano
Toyota Camry
Toyota Corolla
Toyota RAV4
Hyundai Sonata (2009)
Hyundai
Lincoln Town Car
Mercury Grand Marquis
Volvo S40

Meh:
Chevy Impala (getting old...)
Ford Focus (cool interior, so-so handling...)
Ford Escape

Not impressed:
Cadillac Escalade (rides worse than my 21 year old truck...ugh..)
Dodge Caliber

I am in a rental about 30x per year...I forget some (OK, a lot..)of what I've rented...but that's a pretty good list...

Last edited:
I have not had many rentals (handful or 2):

Best: '08ish Sentra CVT 2.0, '06 Sonata V6
Worst: '98 Galant 4-banger, '99 Sentra 1.6?

I generally just rent Panthers..I did rent a Fusion last year and liked it very much.

The only car I really hated to a point of actually returning it after one day [and about 80 miles] and getting something else was a Dodge Caliber..It guzzled gas [worse then a Ford Excursion] was extremely uncomfortble,horrible a/c and had horrible visibility.

My parents have rented tons of cars. Some that I remember...
- 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS...super nice car with dark blue paint, leather, and a moonroof. It had absolutely no trouble getting 30 MPG cruising on the highway, confirmed with fill-up calculations and not just the car's display. My parents loved this car.

- 2005 Chevy Tahoe LS...just a nice, traditional SUV. Comfortable, classic GM truck styling, all the features I care for without excess, and better fit and finish than many GMs of the time. I really liked it, but my parents hated it due to fuel economy and size...and the fact that it was a GM.

- 1999-2007 Taurii...always a favorite of my parents. Boring, predictable, comfortable, and each one was just like the one before it. They wouldn't buy a Taurus because of the transmission problems their 1990 model had, but for renting they were exactly what my parents were looking for and always the first choice. They have rented the current generation of Taurus as well and like it, but it doesn't seem to be their hands down favorite anymore.

- 2001-2011 Escapes...my parents like the Escape for the same reasons as the Taurus. This has become their usual rental whenever it's available.

- 1998 Kia Sportage...sticks out in my memory as one of the worst vehicles I've been in. It had the cheapest, flimsiest interior I had seen in a new car. Everything about it screamed cheap.

I've only ever driven one rental...a 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 4.7 Quad Cab. It was a nice truck overall. It had a comfortable, nicely laid out interior and was a nice truck to drive. Then it threw a CEL and suddenly became loud. Seemed like it developed a massive exhaust leak. I returned it and never knew what went wrong with it. Was a great truck for two days before that happened, but it did leave a not so great impression.

One that sticks out in my mind was an 05 Accord 4 Cyl. Buzzy and with the A/C has really bad idle. It did have good brakes and was fairly comfortable. I would not own it.

Recently I had a Impreza Base, it was ok. I am sure it is much better in STI/WRX form.

Lets see in the past year I have had the following:
A 10 Focus. It was adequate and would be easy to live with
A 10 Altima. Pretty nice. Ran good and was comfortable
A 10 Camaro. My favorite by far.
A 11 Sebring/200 Whatever it is. Ran pretty good, liked it as much as the Altima
A 10 CTS. Very nice like this as much as the Camaro maybe more.

Rented a dodge caliber last year, what a pile and the ergonomics and site lines were a joke, plus it drank fuel like a V12 powered Mercedes.

Last edited:
Just the Focus. '09 IIRC. It was really better than I thought it would be.

It didn't have interior grab rails, or rear headrests. The interior plastics were mismatched in color and in grain.

But it drove suprisingly well. Steered well. Shifted well. Throttle response was really good. Brakes felt a little funny...like you could feel every pavement imperfection through the pedal but it stopped really well.

I had driven a Cobalt the day before and if I didn't know better, I would have sworn the Focus had a more powerful engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back