What Rental cars have Impressed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't rented many cars. Got a 2008 Mustang V6 coupe at one point and was impressed with the comfort and ride quality but not with the transmission (5 speed auto) or the power. I rented a Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible earlier this year for a one way drive and liked having the top down but it was not a great car all around (not powerful with the 4 cylinder/4 speed auto combination, got bad gas mileage, and had a tighter interior than a car with its performance deserves to have).

Drove a Chrysler Aspen and a Jeep something (maybe a Commander) a few years back in Hawaii too. Liked them both just fine but I liked the Jeep better. The Aspen seemed like it was trying to be nicer than it was inside, and had a pretty bad rattle from somewhere underneath in top gear at low load.

we used to routinely rent cars as we have friends with a franchise in the biz. Now, not so much!

recent ones:

2010 camaro, very nice car.

2008 Magnum, another very nice car. Super utility as well. They actually bought the car as it held up very well.

2011 Mustang. Drives sweet, but a bit numbly. Strong V6 with excellent gas mileage.

Several years ago, I rented an '05 Park Avenue.

I can see why others like the car. Seats were gooshy and soft, the car was very smooth and quiet, and it tracked straight as an arrow on the interstate with minimal driver input.

But I hatedit. Acceleration was unremarkable. The tires would howl in protest early and often if you tried to change direction which is probably for the best as the seats did not have any bolstering whatsoever. Brakes were adequate for the task of slowing the car but not confidence inspiring in an emergency situation.

All that is to be expected though. It's the price you pay for that vault like silence. What really bothered me was the mileage.

Maybe I just got a real stinker or maybe the 3800 wasn't fully broken in yet, but I babied it on the interstate and couldn't get above 22mpg.
21.gif

I read about these Buicks hauling down fwy mpgs well into the 30s but not this one.

I'll see if I can remember all the rentals I have driven, some of them I only rode in them.

Impressed:
2000 or 2001 Ford Focus: It was a base model with manual windows, locks and mirror. Also had am/fm/cassette. This was the first rental car as far back as I can remember. Being used to riding midsize to larger cars it did feel a bit crammed but got used to it quickly. Good visibility, responsive, good interior. Really considered buying this car.

2000-2005 Dodge Neon: Everything felt very balanced and just about right. Smooth engine response, relatively quiet interior, and good visibility. The gas pedal is kind of stiff compared to other cars I've driven. I remember my dads old Dodge Caravan was the same. The mirrors were a tad small.

2005 or 2006 Chrysler Town & Country: This was probably the longest time I have been in a rental vehicle, used for a long trip. Has decent seat room, entry/exit for rear bench a bit of hassle. Quiet engine with decent power but transmission doesn't shift as well as I like it. Good fuel economy considering the car was fully loaded with passengers and luggage, ~23-24mpg according to the display.

Not really as impressed:
2002 or 2003 Mazda Protege: It looks like a okay car from the outside but I just didn't like the driving feel. It felt very disconnected. Engine didn't sound that refined, somewhat noisy at higher rpm. Steering felt very loose. It was probably the base model, something interesting I remember only the driver side had the power door and/or window lock control. Interior quality seems like it could be better. Overall just getting from point A to point B is okay. I did like the gauge layout though. Fuel economy was okay for its size.

2002 or 2003 Mitsubishi Galant: I didn't really like the looks of the car, interior was okay. Engine response felt a bit of lag and felt underpowered for this car. Just didn't feel very connected when driving, felt like floating. So-so fuel economy.

2000-2003 Dodge Ram van 3500: Another vehicle I have spend a lot of time in for road trip, had a lot of people go on the road trip. Rear seat entry/exit a bit of squeeze as there is only one set of double doors for the rear. Have to be careful when opening side doors not to hit another car parked next to you, sliding door would probably be better. Ride felt very jumpy and didn't feel that stable. Plenty of power but of course fuel economy was not great. I wouldn't choose a van this large for long trips, a Dodge Caravan would be better choice in my opinion.

Haven't rented much in a long time. Last time I did was Oct '07. Had a Chevy Cobalt. Was not impressed at all. I kept thinking that at least I was getting good gas mileage but I ended up filling up the tank after my 3 days in it and not really driving all that much. Bleh.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Jetta Diesel on a rental? How long that lasted? I would imagine some dufus is going to put gas in it when he hurriedly goes to fill it to avoid the refueling charges.

Nozzles different sizes. Diesel wont fit.

I tried.

The Mazda5 I have right now no complaints. Extremely quiet around town and highway. Not the fastest when on the gas pedal. My only question is who's thought was it to make everything dang complicated. HVAC should only take 3 controls not 10 buttons.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
My only question is who's thought was it to make everything dang complicated. HVAC should only take 3 controls not 10 buttons.

OK DAD!, i swear, he (My dad, not the guy I'm quoting) buys the cars with the fancy thingamajigs, then complains about the doo-hickeys the whole time he owns the car...
currently has an 05 ford freestyle that has the 3 zone automatic Climate control. the # of times i've heard him complain "I wish it just had a dial" Meanwhile i Pine for the auto system i had in my 87 Olds... wasn't constantly having to fiddle w/ the controls. tell it 72, it keeps it 72.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
OK DAD!, i swear, he (My dad, not the guy I'm quoting) buys the cars with the fancy thingamajigs, then complains about the doo-hickeys the whole time he owns the car...

Sounds like my dad. He'd buy cars with leather seats, only to put home made acrylamb seat covers on them. Yeesh.

Best rentals I've ever had were in Sweden. Had a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon back in 2003. About 3 years ago I had an Audi A4 wagon, 1.8 turbo with a 6 speed stick shift. They rent real cars over there.

jeff

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Sounds like my dad. He'd buy cars with leather seats, only to put home made acrylamb seat covers on them. Yeesh.

the freestyle has leather....with cabbie approved beaded seatcovers...

oddly enough, I currently drive an 05 neon, and the last 2 rentals i had, while my last car('00 Sonata, itself a former rental)was in the body shop a couple times, were 2nd Gen Neons.

I used to rent cars monthly so I like this thread. I have driven a number of bigger cars with a 4 cylinder engine, such as Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Mazda 6, Chevy Malibu. My favorite of that bunch would be the Mazda 6 followed by Malibu. Mazda 6 had nice acceleration and was fun to drive. The other engines seemed to be slow and sluggish. Have driven a Prius', Corolla's and Impalas. I would love to have a few of those!!

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I generally just rent Panthers..I did rent a Fusion last year and liked it very much.

The only car I really hated to a point of actually returning it after one day [and about 80 miles] and getting something else was a Dodge Caliber..It guzzled gas [worse then a Ford Excursion] was extremely uncomfortble,horrible a/c and had horrible visibility.

First time I rented a caliber I loved it, second time, i realized it was the worst! Visibility was bad, gas mileage bad, slow accel. just a horrible vehicle..

Ive rented a lot of cars. Some that come to mind as good/impressive:

-2008 Toyota Yaris
-2005 Nissan Sentra (old style)
-2010 Chevy Malibu
-2011 Ford Fusion

Even as rentals, these were pretty good and to my liking. Many other cars, including mustangs, ram pickup trucks, etc., not so much...

I have most recently been impressed with the improvements to all the new Chryslers. I am always impressed with the Town & Country vans - lots of good engineering in there. The new charger drives great.

I have also enjoyed the Ford Edges everytime I get one. The ford escape doesn't appeal to me (the whole segment), but I am impressed with how well the new ones drive compared to other mini-suv's, although I guess it is more midsized.

Last time I was in Germany I rented a BMW 5 series diesel wagon with a manual transmission. It was cool. The last time I was in Italy I got a Diesel renault Clio w/ a manual transmission. I think I got about 60MPG, not much fun though.

A car I used to enjoy renting was the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.

I don't know - I rent cars once a week typically and I always appreciate getting back into my own car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back