What oils are proven to contain esters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I own a Nissan 370Z that apparently needs some "special" oil from the dealer. At $12/quart for conventional oil with an ester additive added, it isn't worth it. Not to mention, Nissan only requires the oil to be certified, ester or no ester.

Now, I was wonering if there are regularly available oils that contain an ester additive to help the oil stick to the VVEL valvetrain a little better. I heard Amsoil 5W-30 contains ester additives, but I would like the experts here to confirm this instead.

I know group V oils are ester based, but these oils do not seem to fare well on these boards. Not to mention, they are just really expensive.

In conclusion, which oils are confirmed to contain esters?

Thanks!

P.S. Any reference/reading material you have would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.S. I tried searching the forums to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LiquidZ
I know group V oils are ester based, but these oils do not seem to fare well on these boards. Not to mention, they are just really expensive.

Huh? Don't fare well?
54.gif
Some of the best results have been form group V containing oils. Expensive? I just paid around $8.50 for redline (a POE/group IV mix) 5W40 locally and it's available online for about $9 which is better than the $12 you mentioned.

You can put dino in your 370Z and be just fine. No car needs special oil,all that is is dealer markup $$.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

Huh? Don't fare well?
54.gif
Some of the best results have been form group V containing oils. Expensive? I just paid around $8.50 for redline (a POE/group IV mix) 5W40 locally and it's available online for about $9 which is better than the $12 you mentioned.

The reason I said "doesn't fare well" is based off a search I did on this forum. I'm not saying my search was extensive.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll keep it in mind.

As far as POE's not faring well here at BITOG, you have to consider the methods used to judge an oil. UOA's are a tool. They will not tell you which oil is better than another. All to often some folks here condemn an oil due to a less than stellar UOA. This is simply laughable really.

Alot of people here are cheap. They look for clearance oils/filters, not always the very best money can buy. We all have our motivations and to each his own.

I have been using Group V oils (Redline) for years in both street and racing applications. I am also a believer in that there is no "Magic oil". That being said, I have always been impressed by the protection yielded by RL. I also run Amsoil and have had similar results with it.

Others here can answer your questions regarding Amsoil and the polarity of ester based oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
All,

I own a Nissan 370Z that apparently needs some "special" oil from the dealer.

Huh? I don't think that is true.

I certainly know its true as I read it in my owner's manual.

It doesn't say required, but it is recommended.

Whether its hype or not, I will never know. I just want to make the best decision in terms of cost and performance.

RedLine uses a POE/Polyol Ester (group V) base oil, but it isn't officially API certified (like Amsoil, save for their XL line) so you may want to avoid it until after your warranty is up.

I heard PP may contain a small amount of ester, not sure if that is true or not. Mobil 1 likely contains a decent percentage of Alkylated Naphthalenes (group V) which have more polarity than PAO/GroupII/GroupIII but less than POE.

What ester additive is the dealer claiming?

Well a lot of oils may contain a smidgeon of ester, so the quesiton I would ask is what oils contain at least 50% ester, and I suspect that Redline would be one of those.

I would shy away from $12 a quart conventional with ester additive, could just treat regular conventional with some ester additive or ARX. Redline is about $9 a quart and would be a killer oil for any hard driven car.

If it's simply a need for more antiwear additive, Redline will do a great job, or just put a couple ounces of Redline breaking additive per oil change.

All,

I believe it is. Nissan is selling a Grp II/GrpV mix for about 9-15$/quart specifically for these 3.7ltrs. I think I remember reading its for bearing wear issues, but dont remember for certain.

Please post the "juicy" words. What exactly does the manual say about this ester oil?

I don't have an electronic copy to show, but it says "Nissan reccomends the use of Nissan Ester Oil". That might be enough to some to say "screw" it, but early G37's (with same motor) were experiencing ticking valvetrains due to the lack of the said "magic" Nissan oil.

Some 370Z owners are not running the Nissan ester oil and having no issues whatsoever. I am assuming Nissan fixed the issue prior to releasing the 370Z.

I don't mean to start an argument with anybody, I'm just trying to educate myself.

All,

Whether its hype or not, I will never know. I just want to make the best decision in terms of cost and performance.

^^It`s all complete and total hype. My 300ZX`s owners manual "recommends" Genuine Nissan motor oil and my 3000GT`s owner`s manual says to use Mitsubishi motor oil. Neither company makes lubricants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
All,

^^It`s all complete and total hype. My 300ZX`s owners manual "recommends" Genuine Nissan motor oil and my 3000GT`s owner`s manual says to use Mitsubishi motor oil. Neither company makes lubricants.

I do agree with you. However, Nissan has a patent on this oil claiming it is using special nano-particles.

EKPOLK's G35 with the VQ35 engine got really good UOA's on GC 0w-30. I'd consider that oil for your engine. The VQ37 is not that different from the VQ35 if I'm not mistaken (other than the variable valve timing).

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
EKPOLK's G35 with the VQ35 engine got really good UOA's on GC 0w-30. I'd consider that oil for your engine. The VQ37 is not that different from the VQ35 if I'm not mistaken (other than the variable valve timing).

I'm not sure how I feel using an oil that differs from the factory specified weight. I have thought about it, but I'm not sure how I feel.

I feel like I will be using Penzoil Platinum of Amsoil 5W-30 to be honest.

I would only use the Nissan oil if it was required for warranty and/or if you`re getting free dealer oil changes. I`d be really interesting to see a VOA of that Nissan oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back