What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so my head is now swimming with all the info you can find on oil. heres what i got. 87 celica GT-S 2.0l DOHC. this is a hornet race car. the engine is a jdm stock replacement(aprox.50k-?) w/ no upgrades, also no egr or emmisions systems. approx. 155hp. i run a road course so car is run very hard. (3rd on season right now)so far ive only used valvoline 20w-50 synpower full synthetic. havent had any problems. but i only get about 4 races (maybe totaling 100 miles.) in before my oil looks like water. so now its time to change. was thinking "valv. not street legal synth 20-50" as i change it to often to really worry about detergents. would i benifit fron the zinc, ect. since its DOHC? would this keep viscosity better? is this a good viscosity or too heavy? is there something cheaper or better?

Take a look at the VOA section, you'll find the VR-1 dosent have as much zinc as you think it does.Redline,Motul,or even Mobil 1 15w50( good stuff)are all very good performers.

will the added zinc really benifit me? i dont have tappets or rockers, ect.. seems like thats the big fuss. i can see how a shim over bucket would be reasonably close to a roller rocker in terms of wear.

Last edited:
What is a "hornet race car"???
21.gif

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Take a look at the VOA section, you'll find the VR-1 dosent have as much zinc as you think it does.Redline,Motul,or even Mobil 1 15w50( good stuff)are all very good performers.

Can you link me to the VOA that shows VR-1 does not have as much ZDDP as I (and Valvoline) think it does?

I searched the VOA section and could not find any info.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: glen242

Can you link me to the VOA that shows VR-1 does not have as much ZDDP as I (and Valvoline) think it does?

I searched the VOA section and could not find any info.

Thanks,

Found this:

Re: Valvoline VR1 20W/50 [Re: KA426]
Veno

Loc: Houston valvoline has all the ZDDP that is advertised... BlackStone labs have been remiss reporting due to calibration errors. that they acknowledged over @ team chevelle... THEY GOOFED... this was done in 2008... I have had Valvoline VR1 30weight and Valvoline 20W50 tested by two different labs.. the samples were taken from the same bottle and sent to Polaris labs http://www.polarislabs1.com/oil-analysis.htm and to analysts inc http://www.analystsinc.com/index.html...

the results were with in 10% of each other.. Zinc was well over 1400ppm and phosphorus was 1300ppm...

Valvoline is everything they say it is and I use it...

I run a very aggressive Solid FT cam with 180 lbs on the seat and 350 over the nose....

I did a breaking with delo400 and have ran a steady diet of VR1 straight 30weight....

veno

I never trusted Blackstone and never will! If I did not trust Valvoline's numbers, I would not use it.

I saw a post(s), don't know where, that Valvoline took Blackstone to task and they admitted they did not have their test equipment properly calibrated.

Show me substandard ZDDP numbers, from a different lab(s), and I may change my mind. But Blackstone - baa.

A) hornet is a class. 4-cyl, STOCK, on road-course(some do dirt cicle track). think of it as 4-cyl demo on a road course. very fun. pretty much the "cheapest" way to race. unless you wanna auto-x i guess. you can look up some vids on youtube.
B)thanks for the VR1 info. i saw the much debated blackstone threads ect. has anyone used the valvoline "not street legal" synth? ive been tryn to find the voa for that.

Take a look at the VOA section, you'll find the VR-1 dosent have as much zinc as you think it does..

5652005assesorys001.jpg

Rob, I did look and was able to find the VOA you say is there/ How about posting a link to it. I posted a UOA from some recent samples that prove the P and Z have been reduced by 50% over what I tested in 2005 but would like to see some more data.
It's funny that even on here with data being king as opposed to race sites with that being rare, some are in disbelief that Vavoline is boneing everyone now and never told the consumers they have dropped the levels.
I have way to much money tied up in my 565cid drag engine to take that risk.

Last edited:
Here is what Valvoline posts on their website about VR-1 oil... I highly doubt that they would lie about amounts of additives in their oils. The last thing they want is to be sued by thousands of customers for fraud.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

I also use Schaeffers, Mobil 1, GTX and others so I am not a huge VR-1 user(I use 28 quarts a year of VR-1)...

I just dislike people that post comments without substantial proof... It is a good way to get sued by damaging a companies reputation. Better have a LOT of solid proof before posting on a public forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Here is what Valvoline posts on their website about VR-1 oil... I highly doubt that they would lie about amounts of additives in their oils. The last thing they want is to be sued by thousands of customers for fraud.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

I also use Schaeffers, Mobil 1, GTX and others so I am not a huge VR-1 user(I use 28 quarts a year of VR-1)...

I just dislike people that post comments without substantial proof... It is a good way to get sued by damaging a companies reputation. Better have a LOT of solid proof before posting on a public forum.

I`m going to grab a case of it this week sometime. I have the get a case free w/rebate form. I use 20W50 year round. Would the VR1 SAE50 be a good summer oil..........better than the 20W50?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back