What oil would you recommend in a 17 focus S

What brand of oil is the bitog favorite flavor nowadays? I'd like this focus to run for a long long time. The engine being a gdi what would you recommend and for what interval?

What brand of oil is the bitog favorite flavor nowadays? I'd like this focus to run for a long long time. The engine being a gdi what would you recommend and for what interval?
There's, in my opinion, less concensus on this forum at the moment than ever before. It's not like ten years ago even when there were a couple of go-to's, it's just all over the map now. There's no German Castrol or PYB right now. High Performance Lubricants is gaining momentum because of their direct involvement here, but that's out of many people's price ranges for a daily driver, including my own.

Your Focus will do absolutely fine on Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State synthetic, Valvoline syn, etc. Get whichever one is the best price around you and run with confidence. The Quaker State is a good deal right now, price wise. Mobil 1, the 0W-20 doesn't contain as much PAO as it used to, they've switched over to using more GTL. It's all good though, it's all fine.

I will say, especially with GDI engines, it's becoming more popular here to run shorter intervals. I don't see nearly as many people here trying to push to 10k miles here like we used to. Seems that the mentality of oil being cheap insurance is winning over trying to maximize every mile from each oil change.

Last edited:
1671308352647.jpeg

More info on what vehicle/year/engine you are using the oil in. Are you towing, mostly highway, short trips or mix, easy driver or lead foot, warm climate, cold climate?

Quick answer:
1. Look in your owners manual and write down the API/ILSAC, manufacturer specs and oil grade
2. Look under the hood for the oil fill cap and compare the engine grade on the cap compared to the manual. The oil fill cap takes precedence.
3. Go to WalMart, or where you normally buy oil, close you eyes and pick one. Or, buy the cheapest oil that has the specs you need.

It's that simple.

Are you towing, mostly highway, short trips or mix, easy driver or lead foot, warm climate, cold climate?
Honestly, what does it matter? Buying a consumer grade synthetic in the weight as specified by the owners manual is the same either way, no matter what the above details are like.

Honestly, what does it matter? Buying a consumer grade synthetic in the weight as specified by the owners manual is the same either way, no matter what the above details are like.
On GDI engines it matters heavily, cars that are only driven on short trips, especially in cold climates, should generally have the oil changed at very short intervals (~3000-4000mi) to counter the fuel dilution and soot build up that occurs.

More info on what vehicle/year/engine you are using the oil in. Are you towing, mostly highway, short trips or mix, easy driver or lead foot, warm climate, cold climate?

Quick answer:
1. Look in your owners manual and write down the API/ILSAC, manufacturer specs and oil grade
2. Look under the hood for the oil fill cap and compare the engine grade on the cap compared to the manual. The oil fill cap takes precedence.
3. Go to WalMart, or where you normally buy oil, close you eyes and pick one. Or, buy the cheapest oil that has the specs you need.

It's that simple.
Sprited driving mostly highway we get all 4 seasons so currently cold but not always. No towing it's a focus I'd feel silly even trying to tow something. It s a 17 Ford focus S. Which is a 2.0 gdi and a 5 speed manual.

Sprited driving mostly highway we get all 4 seasons so currently cold but not always. No towing it's a focus I'd feel silly even trying to tow something. It s a 17 Ford focus S. Which is a 2.0 gdi and a 5 speed manual.
Thanks. Manual probably specs 5w-20 Motorcraft blend so you would be fine with that. Any full synthetic (sic) 5w-20 API SP ILSAC GF6a would also work. You might also look for an oil with the Ford specs (good luck). If mine I would use a 5w-30 with an OEM filter. Brand is subjective and really doesn't matter (as long as it meets latest API/ILSAC specs).

EDIT: 5k/One year OCI's unless you discover a fuel dilution problem.

Where in the USA? What is your coldest morning?

0W-30: M1 ESP or maybe Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX

5W-30: M1 ESP

I'd clearly prefer the latter if you don't require 0W.

Vast amount of discussions on that. Search it, find it!
-

You have a 5 year old economy car so I’d keep it economical. Cheapest oil you can find that meets spec and go until it tell you to change it. No reason to over think it or dump a bunch of money into it.
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 is cheaper than Valvoline when it's on sale at Walmart, and he can stock up for a few oil changes. And it's on sale a couple of times per month. It's really good oil, especially at keeping everything clean.

Back