.What oil to use???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms.......but what makes Amsoil so special?? I hear/read a lot of people swear by it...but don't know much about it. A friend of mine has a 1.8L golf turbo and he uses Redline. Granted, he drivees it like he stole it too! If Mobil 1 jug is $25 and a Penzoil Platinum jug is $20.....is there any difference b/t these other than my wallet being lighter with the mobil 1??
We are a society of marketing....and i don't know if that marketing is clouding my judgement...but I see a LOT of race teams (Nascar, Indy, Formula 1 etc) use MOBIL 1. Why? Granted they drive the P#%# out of the cars too....and they still hold up most of the time. As I stated before, I don't understand the analysis sheets so I don't know how to make an informed decision other than to rely on you guys---VenzaTRD

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You've been throwing those %'s around a lot lately. Where are you getting your information?

Are you talking to me?

If you mean the 30-50% number for PAO content of Mobil 1, it is based on the Mobil 1 Japanese MSDS which requires disclosure of conventional oil percentages (including hydrocracked base stock). No country that I know of actually requires disclose of PAO/Ester in an MSDS, so the percentage of PAO is based on inference (100% - mineral oil% - additives%) in the Japanese MSDS. The articles about the EM PAO plant damaged by Hurricane Ike and the effect on Mobil 1 supply is further evidence that it contains a fair amount of PAO/Ester base stock.

Originally Posted By: VenzaTRD
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms.......but what makes Amsoil so special?? I hear/read a lot of people swear by it...but don't know much about it. A friend of mine has a 1.8L golf turbo and he uses Redline. Granted, he drivees it like he stole it too! If Mobil 1 jug is $25 and a Penzoil Platinum jug is $20.....is there any difference b/t these other than my wallet being lighter with the mobil 1??
We are a society of marketing....and i don't know if that marketing is clouding my judgement...but I see a LOT of race teams (Nascar, Indy, Formula 1 etc) use MOBIL 1. Why? Granted they drive the P#%# out of the cars too....and they still hold up most of the time. As I stated before, I don't understand the analysis sheets so I don't know how to make an informed decision other than to rely on you guys---VenzaTRD

Good news! Mobil 1 is down to $22 at Walmart.

Yes, there is a difference. Mobil 1 has substantially more PAO/Ester base stock than Pennzoil Platinum. That does not automatically make Mobil 1 better for all applications, but that is the difference.

BTW, the big league NASCAR teams do not use Mobil 1 that is exactly like the retail versions. They typically have some additives that make it a little different (and not street legal). But check out his thread concerning Grand AM racing (which use slightly modified stock engines):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1353523#Post1353523

Mark---Would the PP be better for gas mileage????---VenzaTRD

If you are comparing the same viscosity of synthetic oil that are both API starburst certified, I doubt there is much difference between PP and M1.

However, if fuel economy is paramount, then the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils might be your best bet. For a Toyota V6, I would go with the Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy (note that is a very different oil than the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European formula oil which I would not recommend for a Toyota V6). But PP is certainly a very good oil and more than meets the manufacturer requirements.

Venza - In plain speech, unless you are specifically going for over 300,000 miles , get anybody's dino or synthetic.
Change the full synthetic less often.

Mark----you may or may not be able to answer----owners manual calls for 5w30. If i use M1 Advance fuel economy 0w-30...would that "void" my warranty? Does M1 have a 5w-30 Advance fuel ecomomy???---VenzaTRD

Mark----you may or may not be able to answer----owners manual calls for 5w30. If i use M1 Advance fuel economy 0w-30...would that "void" my warranty? Does M1 have a 5w-30 Advance fuel ecomomy???---VenzaTRD

I can answer this. It will not void your warranty. All of the following is from the Mobil 1 website:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy is engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and to offer improved fuel economy in vehicles where SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil is recommended.

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy outperforms conventional oils and meets or exceeds the warranty requirements for many GM, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota vehicles. It is suitable for the following:

GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Chrysler MS-6395
ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving
API SM/CF
ACEA A1/B1

From the FAQ:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_FAQs.aspx#FAQs12

Will using these products void my warranty if my owner’s manual recommends 5W-30 motor oil in my engine?

If your car maker recommends a SAE 5W-30 ILSAC oil (starburst), we recommend either Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy, which provides the high temperature protection of 5W-30 oils while offering improved fuel economy. You will not void your warranty.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Changing out synthetic at a 5k interval in this vehicle is a waste. Use a quality conventional like Pennzoil and your vehicle will have more than enough protection. You won't see any benefit from synthetic in this application.

Completely disagree. While synthetic is certainly capable of going longer than 5K there are many advantages to it besides extended OCI's.

LOL....the PP versus Mobil1 again?
Either one will serve this guy well. For this application any SM rated oil will probably do well. Mobil1 has no advantage over PP or vice versa. Synthetics have advantages over conventional oils no doubt. But if your doing a 5K OCI those advantages over a SM rated conventional oil (for a grocery getter) are very hard to realize.

Really now! Just use any high quality 5W-30 dino such as PYB and change
it along with the filter (purolator) every 5k and find something else to worry about.
You are way over thinking this!

Slipperysam

Honda Accord 2000 3.0L 5w-30 145,000mi
Honda Pilot 2004 3.5L 5W-20 109,000mi
Toyota Venza 2009 3.5L 5W-30 1,000mi

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Changing out synthetic at a 5k interval in this vehicle is a waste. Use a quality conventional like Pennzoil and your vehicle will have more than enough protection. You won't see any benefit from synthetic in this application.

Completely disagree. While synthetic is certainly capable of going longer than 5K there are many advantages to it besides extended OCI's.

I am not trying to be smart, but what advantages would there be in this application? Keep in mind the op lives in NC, this is a NA engine and not a known sludger. He also will adhere to a strict 5k oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back