What Oil To Run On A Track Day - Road Course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
427Z06, I also have a 427 c5r blocked engine with over 25000 miles already. Currently it is running with 15w50 and my oil pressure is a little higher than it was running 15w40 Royal Purple. Around 45psi at 2500rpm. The oil galleries are larger with the c5r block, and with the larger tolerances of my engine, it is the best weight for summer. Winter I'll be running 5w50 Syntec in California. Doing OCI of 6000 miles without any problems.

Although I use 5w50 Syntec in my Supra, I like M1 15w50 in summer in my C5R and M1 10w30 in the winter. However, my baby is a Garage Queen for awhile. Too many speeding tickets, and with 3 vehicles, I took it off the road as it the one used the least. Right now I hemorrhaging money to the insurance companies.
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Although I use 5w50 Syntec in my Supra, I like M1 15w50 in summer in my C5R

Now those are two UOAs I'd love to see! Please post em if you do them!

I would think that straight Mobil 1 15W-50 or Redline 10W-40 would be fine!

I drove lots of cars day in and day out like they were at the race track on these oils, and they engines lasted hundreds of thousands of miles with only basic maintenance.

I also thought the advice to overfill by 1/2 quart might be worth investigating.

I use M1 15w-50 in my SR20DET even in daily driving.
The SR community has a lot of experience with this oil and feels its the proper weight.

For a Turbo in Summer castrol TWS 10w-60 might not be too thick.

Fred..
smile.gif

I have a souped up Mustang GT (2003), and I run nothing but Red Line 5W30 everyday. If I take the car to run the 1/4 mile, I splurge on some Red Line 10W30 and change the oil back to 5W30 after the race.

If your using M1 otherwise just thicken it up. I defenitely wouldn't switch brands for a weekend. You'll probably see more wear. I wouldn't be changing the chemistry when your car needs the most protection. Maybe run the brew always and for racing drain the filter a few times, add the 15w 50, go racing and do a full change back when your done.

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
I have a souped up Mustang GT (2003), and I run nothing but Red Line 5W30 everyday. If I take the car to run the 1/4 mile, I splurge on some Red Line 10W30 and change the oil back to 5W30 after the race.

With all due respect, that sounds like a complete waste of money to me. One day at the dragstrip will not kill an oil by any means, and Redline 5w30 can easily handle the abuse just as well as their 10w30. So there is no need to continue that pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back