What oil should I run in my new Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wtd
I ran across this thread again and thought I would update everyone on what oil I did use.

I changed the oil in early March with a little over 4,700 miles on the original oil fill and the OLM was at 43%. The car was right at a year old and is why I changed the oil when I did.

I used Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend with the Motorcraft FL500s filter.

I've decided I will go with the OLM or one year, whichever happens first.

I only drove the car about 700 miles from the beginning of November until the beginning of March when I changed it. The bad weather this winter kept the car pretty much garaged the entire time.

The car is a blast to drive and will get a lot more use in the coming months.

Wayne

You can't go wrong using motorcraft in that car.

I'm glad you're liking the car. It really is one of the finest ford has ever rolled off the assembly line.
I love the dohc 5.0 and up until I bought my charger I wouldn't have thought twice about buying one however the mds equipped hemi engines have really opened up my eyes and is making a one easy decision difficult.
Anyways keep on keeping on. Great car.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Please don't run PYB conventional oil in this absolute powerhouse of a motor! This engine at the minimum deserves a quality blend such as MotorCraft 5W-20 or a quality Full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil Signature Series!

Agreed don't run conventional or semi-synthetic in this car. I would use Redline and Schaeffer, not Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Please don't run PYB conventional oil in this absolute powerhouse of a motor! This engine at the minimum deserves a quality blend such as MotorCraft 5W-20 or a quality Full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil Signature Series!

Agreed don't run conventional or semi-synthetic in this car. I would use Redline and Schaeffer, not Amsoil.

Why not Amsoil? It will work great.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: wtd
I ran across this thread again and thought I would update everyone on what oil I did use.

I changed the oil in early March with a little over 4,700 miles on the original oil fill and the OLM was at 43%. The car was right at a year old and is why I changed the oil when I did.

I used Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend with the Motorcraft FL500s filter.

I've decided I will go with the OLM or one year, whichever happens first.

I only drove the car about 700 miles from the beginning of November until the beginning of March when I changed it. The bad weather this winter kept the car pretty much garaged the entire time.

The car is a blast to drive and will get a lot more use in the coming months.

Wayne

You can't go wrong using motorcraft in that car.

I'm glad you're liking the car. It really is one of the finest ford has ever rolled off the assembly line.
I love the dohc 5.0 and up until I bought my charger I wouldn't have thought twice about buying one however the mds equipped hemi engines have really opened up my eyes and is making a one easy decision difficult.
Anyways keep on keeping on. Great car.

Thanks. I was looking at the Challenger with the 5.7L Hemi and was actually going to buy one but the MDS system is what held me back from buying one. On the cars I drove, I could feel the engine switching back and forth between 8 and 4 cyl and it made the car feel like it was missing. I also didn't like the slight hesitation when giving it gas. I drove two of these cars and both of them did it. The service guy at the dealership said that some people are more sensitive to the MDS system and don't like how it operates. I have also talked to some people who don't even notice it.

I still love how the Challenger looks and still would like to get one some day.

As far as the oil for the Mustang, I don't feel the need to run a full synthetic and will probably stay with a synthetic blend but may consider a full synthetic at some point.

As I've posted many times here, I don't like Mobil one and will not run it so that is not an option.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I'm not a ford guy either, not since my '87 F150 caught fire while my stepdad was driving it down the road.

However, Motorcraft products are top quality. If I owned a ford, I'd use them without hesitation.

The car fire thing is not limited to Ford. My mother was driving a Cadillac that sprouted an engine fire on the road that fried the battery & electrics by the time she got it over to the side of the road. She could not open the doors or windows. Another motorist broke the side window to get her out as the handles were not opening the locked doors.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic would be a good choice if you're going to be rough.

Does the manual allow anything stouter than 5w20?

Ford doesn't recommend anything heavier than the spec' 5W-20 even for track use. In fact it's counter-productive to use anything heavier and certainly not the 5W-50.
What Ford does recommend if you're tracking your car is installing the optional oil cooler if you're routinely seeing high oil temp's.

Agreed, the track pack specs 5w-50 not the regular GT. The Track Pack has slightly different parts inside the engine. Their was a UOA on here a bit ago of a GT running M1 0w-20 on couple track days, the wear was very very low.

Why didn't someone correct this misinformation?

There is no difference in the motor between a track pack equipped gt and a regular mustang gt. I would run a really good full synthetic 5w30 if it were my car and i'd add the oil cooler as well. let the government motors cars run 5w20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back