What Oil Is Best? The correct amount and weight/spec'd oil.

I want to ask, has anyone here ever heard of an engine failing because it had the correct amount and weight/spec'd oil in it while being correctly changed at the intervals recommended by the automotive or oil manufacturers? I have not.

For the most part no unless it was just unfortunately defective, badly engineered, or miss-spec'd which does happen. Sometimes oils are spec'd are too thick or too thin or the interval lengths were too much. I believe with the bmw m5 the recommended 60 grade was just too thick for the bearings unless it was fully warmed but most didn't wait before stomping it while a 40 grade was good enough. For ford's 20 grade it just didn't give enough protection so a 30 grade for some NA engines is recommended. As for the intervals gm and bmw used to allow pretty liberal olm readings that went a bit too far and did lead to excessive deposits in the engine. Nowadays not so much the intervals are shorter and oils are better.

But for the most part if i change the 0w-20 in my 2021 by when the olm tells me which is about 4-5k i don't think the oil will be the reason why that iffy modern GM 6.2 fails. The dfm lifters and gdi will probably be the expensive part. It ain't like the old gen 3 6.0 or 5.3 in my old trucks which just refuse to give even after almost 550k combined since new.

Depends on what part of the engine you’re referring to. GM AFM/DFM engines have dropped lifters as well as Dodge/Ram Hemi engines.

It was the oil's fault? The correct oil and amount and changed when recommended?
That’s what I’m asking you. It depends on what part of the engine you’re referring to when you say the engine failing. You need to define what you’re talking about.

If engine components fail it can be caused by many factors, and possibly a combination of these factors:

1) Bad metallurgy and or surface hardening, which lubrication can't really "fix".
2) Inadequate parts clearance.
3) Lack of lubrication (an under designed oiling system, or oiling system problem (clogged passage) or outright failure, ie oil pump).
4) Inadequate viscosity (both W rating and HTHS viscosity for the use conditions).
5) Lack of maintenance (too low oil level, too long OCIs, letting the filter clog etc).

If the engine design (1 through 3) are correct, and 4 & 5 are not allowed to happen by whoever is taking care of the vehicle, then chances of an engine failure is very remote.

If engine components fail it can be caused by many factors, and possibly a combination of these factors:

1) Bad metallurgy and or surface hardening, which lubrication can't really "fix".
2) Inadequate parts clearance.
3) Lack of lubrication (an under designed oiling system, or oiling system problem (clogged passage) or outright failure, ie oil pump).
4) Inadequate viscosity (both W rating and HTHS viscosity for the use conditions).
5) Lack of maintenance (too low oil level, too long OCIs, letting the filter clog etc).

If the engine design (1 through 3) are correct, and 4 & 5 are not allowed to happen by whoever is taking care of the vehicle, then chances of an engine failure is very remote.
/thread

Back