what oil gives the best protection on startup??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 02 5.3 Silverado currently running Mobil 1 extended performance 5w30. I wonder if there is a better oil for protection on startup. Maybe run like a 0w30?

Is the extended performance really any better than regular Mobil 1? I run my oil 7500 miles regardless.

Also does anyone know what class Mobil 1 is in?

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Oh boy I'm going to sit on on this one..... this is going to be good...

Yes sir!
36.gif

Yes I believe a 0w30 would give better protection, just switched to Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 in the Uplander. Already liking it since it runs quieter on it. Going to switch to PP 0w20 on the Accord once my stash of 5w20 PU is used up.

Originally Posted By: chevytherealdeal
Is 0w30 too thin for protection?
No, I was confused about this too at first....the hotter oil gets the thinner it gets, the cooler oil gets the thicker it gets, The 0w just means its thickens less when it gets cooler vs a 5w, or 10w which thicken more when cooler. So that means the oil flows better throughout the engine with a 0w vs a 5w or 10w when the oil cools off, which means better protection. I think this comes into play when you do a lot of short trips and a lot of starting your car. This is the type of driving both my Accord and the Uplander see. So I am switching both cars to 0w oils. Already have on the Uplander, waiting until I use up my Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 in the Accord before I switch it over to Pennzoil Platinum 0w20.

Last edited:

M1 0w-30 provides excellent start up protection; Castrol 0w-30 will not provide better cold start protection. For the best cold start protection, I would suggest M1 0w-20 which now meets your trucks oil spec. M1 EP is a great oil.

Most 30 wt oils will have similar viscosity at operating temperature - 40 will be thicker and 20 will be thinner.

If you give us more information, we could recommend (argue?) a specific oil.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

M1 0w-30 provides excellent start up protection; Castrol 0w-30 will not provide better cold start protection. For the best cold start protection, I would suggest M1 0w-20 which now meets your trucks oil spec. M1 EP is a great oil.

Most 30 wt oils will have similar viscosity at operating temperature - 40 will be thicker and 20 will be thinner.

When did 0w20 meet the spec for an 02 5.3 chevy v8?

Is the extended performance really any better than regular Mobil 1? I run my oil 7500 miles regardless.

Also does anyone know what class Mobil 1 is in?

M1 EP and Silver both have similar additive packages, but EP has a better base. If you are doing a lot of towing/hauling you should also take a look at M1 HM which has a stouter add package and is a thicker oil - the trade off is increased start up wear but better protection under higher temperatures.

M1 oils are top tier.

For the ultimate "start up" protection get a pre-luber and plumb it in. Flip a switch and have oil flowing through your engine before you even turn the key. Nothing beats that for "start up" protection.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

It has been a while ago. Normally it would have been huge, but I guess everybody was tired of the thick/thin arguments that week...

LOL OP why I feel like so many troll lately ???

If you do well in life, you dont care about these type of thing,if it broke, buy new one . Life is so much more then worried about these small moneys thing.

Last edited:
No, I was confused about this too at first....the hotter oil gets the thinner it gets, the cooler oil gets the thicker it gets, The 0w just means its thickens less when it gets cooler vs a 5w, or 10w which thicken more when cooler. So that means the oil flows better throughout the engine with a 0w vs a 5w or 10w when the oil cools off, which means better protection. I think this comes into play when you do a lot of short trips and a lot of starting your car. This is the type of driving both my Accord and the Uplander see. So I am switching both cars to 0w oils. Already have on the Uplander, waiting until I use up my Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 in the Accord before I switch it over to Pennzoil Platinum 0w20.

^^ Great explanation
cheers3.gif

It has been a while ago. Normally it would have been huge, but I guess everybody was tired of the thick/thin arguments that week...

Really? is that an official statement from GM? could you give me a link to this? what engines were back spec'd for 0w20?

Really? is that an official statement from GM? could you give me a link to this? what engines were back spec'd for 0w20?

LINKY LINK

GC would be my choice since it is a very good 0W-30 and it also is great for the main seals, and other seals like the valve covers.

GM motors like to leak oil, and GC (besides being a very good oil for the moving parts of an engine), goes a long way in preventing those leaks.

So why is castrol worse than M1

^^ Great explanation
cheers3.gif

If I read this earlier today I would have been scratching my head. If you have an hour or so to read about oil and lubrication head to Motor Oil University . Backs up the "thin is in" school of thought.

LINKY LINK

K. What does the M1 oil finder have to do with the 02 5.3 chev engine.
Where exactly did chev post that they back spec'd the 99 and up 5.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back