what oil gives the best coating at long time intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I am curious, what oil maintains the best and thickest coating on metal parts, especially contacting parts at long time periods? I have three thoughts:
1) A heavy dino oil, due to its inherently poorer flowability characteristics, as compared to synth oils would be best. Particularly an oil such as a 20w-50 which is quite heavy and would be relatively resistant to flow.
2) Any synthetic oil (heavier would still be better). As I understand it, synth oils tend to have a slight charge on the molecular endgroups, causing the oil to act like a large-scale surfactant, electrically attracting itself to the oppositely charged metallic engine surfaces. Since there is a layer of oil that is 'stuck' to the metallic surfaces, any synthetic, even a very light one, would easily build up a good hydrodynamic boundary because of the remaining oil.
3) The oil (synth or dino) with the best extreme pressure package, because no oil is going to coat beyond more than a few molecules thick if the engine has been sitting for a week or more.

Opinions? connents?
Thanks

JMH

For one, you want to choose an oil with moly in it, as the moly will coat the metal parts and leave a protective layer behind, so it's beneficial for infrequently driven cars.

Patman ,
Your next post is 5000!
worshippy.gif
canada.gif
bowdown.gif
gr_stretch.gif
grin.gif
cheers.gif

lol.gif

Mark

He's the "Administrator" he can just change the numbers
wink.gif
canada.gif

Sorry I hi-jacked the thread. I believe Esters cling to metals better than the PAO's and Dino oils. As was mentioned though the Moly is important as well as the ZDDP

[ March 14, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

I'd run a synthetic diesel rated oil, something like Delvac 1, 5w-40, Redline 15w-40, or the Amsoil 10w-40. These are formulated with additional rust/corrosion inhibitors.

TooSlick

On the molecular level, esters give the best bonding and attraction to metals.

On the macroscopic level, there are two additives that can keep the oil on the surfaces:
1. A "clinger" called polyisobutylene (a synthetic hydrocarbon, usually in the form of an olefin copolymer)
2. A surfactant (surface-active-agent) of the alkylamine family of chemicals.

I don't know stuff from Shinola only did chem 101 but from articles I've read pao is a copy of an oil molecule where as esters are something different as far as covalent charge or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back