what oil for my old Astro van?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never asked this question before, always went with what I thought was good.

1989 281K PLUS what I think may have been a lot of hours idling to run an 120V inverter when she was used as a locksmith van???

In the summer I have been running 20W50, I find it interesting that when i do run the 20W50, esp right after oil change the tranny slips more often....as the oil gets more and more fuel diluted and beat up/thinned, the tranny slips less, as it does when I run 10W40??...what is that all about?

I do have ring issues and fuel dilution, changing the oil about every 2500 miles.

orig spec oil is 5W30, will this be way to thin now?? had thought about Rotella T3 10W30??

whadya reckon folks?

Is this some kind of sick joke?!??!! Good one!!!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
Is this some kind of sick joke?!??!! Good one!!!
crackmeup2.gif

eh??

Any decent 10w30 should do you just fine, the T3 is awesome stuff but overkill for a 2500 mile dump, unless you think you are getting a LOT of fuel dilution. My old Astro would tolerate heavy oils well also but the 10w30 is probably the best choice IMO.

Anything really, as long as its slippery. You could probably get away with just topping it off and not changing it.

If you have blowby and a leaky vacuum modulator, your oil could get in to your tranny causing slipping. But there are other variables too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back