What oil for my new 2022 Pathfinder

FMC

I have a 2022 Pathfinder with their 3.5L V6, Nissan states 10,000 mile oil change for normal driving, and 0W-20 GF-6 SP oil.

I don't want to do the 10,000 interval, I want to do 5,000 interval.

I will use Nissan oil filter.

What oil do you recommend ??? ***Keep in mind this is Direct Injection so Im concerned about the carbon build up on the intake valves.***

I have the same engine in my QX60. In the Philly climate I'd stick with any 0w-20 synthetic that has the correct certifications and I'd use 5K mile intervals. My SUV is used in NC and FL, so I opt for 5w-20 synthetic and 5K intervals. The 3.5L is a sweet motor. I have a similar version in my wife's 2007 M35 and it's been great for 14 years.

Same stuff I put in my Titan.
IMG_8728.jpg
IMG_8727.jpg

I was thinking Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, I dont mind spending a few extra bucks, I'm just wondering how much impact the engine oil can have on the carbon deposits that form on the intake valves with Direct Injection

I was thinking Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, I dont mind spending a few extra bucks, I'm just wondering how much impact the engine oil can have on the carbon deposits that form on the intake valves with Direct Injection

I have some of that too. It does not carry the GF-6A however. Really the Kirkland 0W-20 at $30 for 10 qts is the way to roll.
IMG_8729.jpg
IMG_8730.jpg

As for the intake valves really a catch can is the way to keep those deposits down.

Valvoline EP is supposed to be an oil that was made with GDI usage in mind. It has a huge dose of moly in it and it can be had with a $5 rebate right now. That or Castrol Edge or Edge EP would be my choice as Castrol has a pretty good track record in GDI engines.

Dittos on the Valvoline EP.

Not sure either how it will prevent deposits on the intake valves either. A lot of that will depend on the computer programming and injector spray pattern and timing.

Valvoline EP is supposed to be an oil that was made with GDI usage in mind. It has a huge dose of moly in it and it can be had with a $5 rebate right now. That or Castrol Edge or Edge EP would be my choice as Castrol has a pretty good track record in GDI engines.
I have some of that too. :LOL:
IMG_8522 (1).jpg

Dittos on the Valvoline EP.

Not sure either how it will prevent deposits on the intake valves either. A lot of that will depend on the computer programming and injector spray pattern and timing.
With no injector spraying the back of the valve (DI) the oil residual from the PCV system will accumulate carbon. A oil catch can can slow to accumulation.

Waste

Low SAPS oil produce less deposits, than mid and high SAPS oils.

With no injector spraying the back of the valve (DI) the oil residual from the PCV system will accumulate carbon. A oil catch can can slow to accumulation.

Generally true but some programs allow multiple injections per cycle even if the valve is open. I don’t know all the engineering science but over the years they have improved on the issue.

Generally true but some programs allow multiple injections per cycle even if the valve is open. I don’t know all the engineering science but over the years they have improved on the issue.
The latest diesel pickup trucks are also accomplishing multiple injections per cycle. It's the way of things.

The mentioned Kirkland and Valvoline oils have my full confidence. Run Kirkland 5W-30 in cold Alaska with success.

Last edited:
Back