What Oil For High HP Turbo Motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A top stay in grade at the high end 30wt is OK. But I think it really likes (mid) 40.

Reliability - it's had issues. Some are lasting though. Oil system seems to be critical (well big surprise). It's not the old iron horse red block of old. But most failures on the new Volvo's are: complicated control crap. Engine issues are rare, but sometimes top issues crop up.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
In addition, how are some members of this board SO SURE what it costs Castrol to make SYNTEC. Do they have access to the firm's accounting figures that show total cost for Group III base oil procurement and for the additive packages they use and for blending methodology?

It's been reported in several mags. For example, in Car and Driver, it was either Csaba Csere or Patrick Bedard who learned from Castrol that the Group III costs much less to manufacture. I think it was half the cost or thereabouts, I can't remember exactly now.

Don't forget, Shell Rotella T Syn 5W-40 (Group III) is a little more than $3/quart at Walmart. This is probably what FakeTec should cost, maybe less!

FakeTec is almost always $5 a quart!

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
In addition, how are some members of this board SO SURE what it costs Castrol to make SYNTEC. Do they have access to the firm's accounting figures that show total cost for Group III base oil procurement and for the additive packages they use and for blending methodology?

It's been reported in several mags. For example, in Car and Driver, it was either Csaba Csere or Patrick Bedard who learned from Castrol that the Group III costs much less to manufacture. I think it was half the cost or thereabouts, I can't remember exactly now.

Don't forget, Shell Rotella T Syn 5W-40 (Group III) is a little more than $3/quart at Walmart. This is probably what FakeTec should cost, maybe less!

FakeTec is almost always $5 a quart!

Jason

Jason,

What C&D reported is no doubt what they were told; but does it not strike you as odd that Castrol would basically tell the world, "We are making this stuff cheaply and ripping you off with GP IV/V-like prices?" There is just something about this whole "Castrol affair" that doesn't make sense. I'm sure they don't want to commit "corpracide," but if all the stories circulating about them and their product are true, that is what they appear to be trying to do. I've been exposed to a lot of business/investment info across the corporate spectrum and I have NEVER seen a company do--in the open--what they appear to be or are accused of doing.

[ October 04, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Petro Cannuck Duron 5W40 group III is $4.15 litre or about $2.80 USqt/USD.
I would imagine the bulk out dealer makes 35% on the sale.
shipping and packaging cost ?%
Where is the rip-off?

Doc,

Nice ride....

Check out my UOAs using Mobil 1 15w-50 in my twin turbo Volvo S80....IMHO that is the oil to use for all turbos, as long as it does not get too cold and your car is garaged most of the time.

Here in Northern Nevada, it rarely gets below 15F for any length of time...

For colder weather, if you can find it use the Castrol Syntec 5w-40....

Have fun and change your tires often...

Mark

Paul, I have no idea why Castrol would do that! As you know, they do lots of strange things. For example, we're all so confused about how Castrol operates that we've gone to the extreme of tracking down the lot numbers of a certain Castrol product!
cheers.gif

Userfriendly, I agree, that's a great price! I think around $3/quart is a reasonable price for a group III oil.

quote:

I have a case of Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 in the garage. Should I use this oil this winter, then switch to the 3K 5W30 from there on out? If not, the Amsoil goes in the wife's Murano.

Amsoil 0w30 is A3 (or it should be since it's HTHS is 3.5), so why not just use this since you've already got some?

[ October 05, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:
Wow, lost of excellent info on this thread. I have learedn quite abit, but I am still a bit confused.

I am convinced I should go with an A3 oil. However, this really cuts down the number of choices. The only M1 that is rated for A3 is the 15W50. Redline does not show any ACEA ratings. Amsoil has several A3 rated oils, including the Series 3000 5W30 (HDD), the 10W30 (ATM), but NOT the Series 2000 0W30 (TS). And, ofcourse, the infamous and elusive German Castrol 0W30.

Becasue I expereince some really cold starts (Dec thru Feb), I wanted to go with a 0W oil. However, this means only GC 0W30.

I have a case of Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 in the garage. Should I use this oil this winter, then switch to the 3K 5W30 from there on out? If not, the Amsoil goes in the wife's Murano.

Should I rule out Redline since they don't have ACEA ratings? If not for the ACEA ratings, I would probably choose their 5W30 for winter and 10W30 for summer.

I recommend you stay with the Amsoil 0W30, but just as a correction, M1 0W40 is also A3 rated...still, I would stay with the Amsoil.

I know that this topic has been hashed over before, but are all of the engine oils mentioned above warranty certified?
Certifications cost money.
"Meets or exceeds" or "rated" does not mean warranty certified.
A lubricant's performance, AND certification of that level of performance is important when dealing with new car warranties.
I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here.
It is very likely that most, if not all of the special brands often mentioned on this forum could easily meet or exceed by a comfortable margin, warranty certification tests, but they have not due to the cost.

Wow, lost of excellent info on this thread. I have learedn quite abit, but I am still a bit confused.

I am convinced I should go with an A3 oil. However, this really cuts down the number of choices. The only M1 that is rated for A3 is the 15W50. Redline does not show any ACEA ratings. Amsoil has several A3 rated oils, including the Series 3000 5W30 (HDD), the 10W30 (ATM), but NOT the Series 2000 0W30 (TS). And, ofcourse, the infamous and elusive German Castrol 0W30.

Becasue I expereince some really cold starts (Dec thru Feb), I wanted to go with a 0W oil. However, this means only GC 0W30.

Should I rule out Redline since they don't have ACEA ratings? If not for the ACEA ratings, I would probably choose their 5W30 for winter and 10W30 for summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back