What oil for a newly rebuilt 302 -65 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys I'm almost done with my 65 mustang restoration. This will be a trophy car for sure. i had a 10:1 302 built with aluminum heads and a barry grant carb 650 cfm. it should have a little kick. What should I use for oil and break in. How often should I change since I will put hardly any miles on it? mabey 1k per year. Also need recommendations for c4 tranny fluid and 8" rear gear oil.

Price is not a concern as I have a boat load of money in this car. I currently use M1 in both my f150 and toy avalon.

Thanks

Frank
cheers.gif

My first choice would be the Chevron Supreme 10W30 for run-in if you can find it.

Next choice would be Pennzoil.

It should be home in about 2 weeks. I'll post some pics when it arrives. Its in the paint booth right now.

Frank

Whats your thoughts on the at tranny and rear?

I was thinking M1 atf and gear oil 80/90

You might consider a moly gear oil such as Schaeffer's #267 as well. It's a blend of approx. 17% PAO and moly.

I prefer Schaeffer's #204S for automatic trannys. It, too, is a blend. I have had excellent results with this oil in Chevy 700R4's and hydraulic systems as well.

But any of the above mentioned fluids would be sufficient for the application.

Yeah I prefer stuff i can get OTC here in so cal. I can get M1 redline royal purple and of course all the big names like valvoline and castrol and penzoil. dang thats just too many choices!

LOL

I think I need oil therapy, i think most of them would probably be fine.

I would run it for at least 1,000 miles. When you see markedly reduced consumption, the rings should then be seated.

When I rebuilt the '86 Chevy 350, the oil consumption lasted for about 1,500 miles, and then went to almost zero.

If you can, link a picture to your wheels. I for one love old Mustangs.

Back in the 80s I had the upper half of my 1969 Mach1 (351W) rebuilt. The mechanic who did the work ( a former drag racer who still owns a cherry 1966 Hemi Charger) told me to run Castrol GTX 20w50. I was kinda young then and didn't have the foresight to ask why but instead blindly followed his advice. The car ran like a top for a few years until I totalled it
frown.gif

Not to hyjack your thread but I'm curious...any ideas why he would have suggested that weight oil?

Mikep

I always used 20W-50 in my old Chevy muscle cars. It stems from some old wives tale that "thicker is better". I blindly followed this advice for years, until I realized the error of my ways.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I always used 20W-50 in my old Chevy muscle cars. It stems from some old wives tale that "thicker is better". I blindly followed this advice for years, until I realized the error of my ways.

LMAO....good to know I'm in good company! Even if it is a chevy owner
wink.gif

Mikep

Thats why I am asking questions because I have 5k in this motor and I want in to outlast me! So everyones experience is very helpful. My motor guy mentioned castrol 20-50 also. Seems thick to me? What do you guys run in your older trannts and diff?

Thanks

Frank

quote:

Originally posted by Not the Autorx Frank:
My motor guy mentioned castrol 20-50 also. Seems thick to me? What do you guys run in your older trannts and diff?

Thanks

Frank

Interesting. Did he mention why?

I recommend a 10W40 or 15W40 for older muscle cars (post run-in), with HDMO SF/SJ ratings.

You don't really care about FM's, you want mostly AW additives in the oil.

I think your best bet would be to use any name brand 15w-40 motor oil that is rated both CI-4 and SL. You will only pay a few cents more per quart than you would for reqular PCMO and you will have a much stronger additive package. The 20w-50 is a good oil to use if your vehicle is a heavy oil burner. Otherwise there is just no need for such a thick motor oil in my humble opinion.

I ran a Kendall GT-1 10/30 in my 70 Mach 1/351C4V for the first 1000 miles and then switched to Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15/40. You don't want too heavy an oil due to the tight tolerances of a fresh engine. There isn't any hurry to switch to synthetics. Let your rings and lifters wear in well on petroleum first. Redline suggests 3000 miles on petroleum before using their oils. I plan on using a Redline 10/40 at the start of this season. I am using their Racing ATF in my FMX transmission now as it is a Ford Type-F equivalent and would work fine in your C-4. The differential is full of Castrol synthetic 75/90 and friction modifier of course!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back