What oil for 88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done with a head gasket install and roller cam upgrade. I put Mobil 1 10w30 in it Im gonna run it about 50 miles and drain it to make sure I get all the water out of the crank case.

What would be a good oil to put back in it? I usually use Wix oil filters.

I would run whichever 5w30 synthetic oil change deal is available at the time. PP/PU, M1, or whatever.

You started with M1?!?

Takes a while to get rid of all traces of coolant. Id probably start with WM supertech for 50 miles, then do it again for 100, then move to PYB for 250, then 500, then 1000, then on and on. Once youve done an OCI on PYB that comes back clean on UOA, then Id move back to M1, and 10w-30 is good.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You started with M1?!?

Takes a while to get rid of all traces of coolant. Id probably start with WM supertech for 50 miles, then do it again for 100, then move to PYB for 250, then 500, then 1000, then on and on. Once youve done an OCI on PYB that comes back clean on UOA, then Id move back to M1, and 10w-30 is good.

Yeah I have always ran syn. in the car I was running Rotella T-6 5w40 for the slider cam before

You have to hit a certain percentage of coolant-to-oil ratio before it starts harming bearings; I would imagine you'd get enough out after one OCI to be okay. Two tops.

This is easy. Use the bottom end of good oils ie: cheapest ones.
So, I'd say Supertech from WalMart. Use it for 500-1000 miles then drain and refill with your choice of oil. And its off the the races again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back