what oil for 1980 350 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here goes. I have just purchased an 80 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup with about 130,000 miles. All my vehicles are newer with roller lifters and use Mobil 1 synthetic. However, this 350 is older with flat tappetlifters. What oil would be good to use? Here in IA temps range from -1d to +100. 10w30 is good in winter with 10w40 or 20w50 in summer. Will running synthetic oil possobly cause leaks to start? I have heard rottela 5w40 synthetic. Won't cause these leaks, but I'm not posotive. Running a dino oil is no problem, but I desire an oil or even an additive that would be benificial to flat tapprts.

I apoligize for misspelling and punctuation. For some reason nothing shows up on the screen of my blackberry when I ask a question so I have to poke and hope.

I think you should continue to use whatever oil the truck as become accustomed to, if you can't determine that, in my opinion any HDEO in a 10w-30 would be fine. I guess I feel if it's made it 130k on dino, no need to switch at this point..

No "possible" leaks and good for flat tappets, win, win....

Rotella to the max. Used to use their strait 30 weight in my 1968 ford f 250 ranger. I got rid of the notorious lifter noise the the FE Blocks had

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Rotalla T synthetic 5W-40 all the way.

+1

There is a UOA on the first or second page of the gasoline UOA's for a 5.7 (350 V8) that ran Rotella 5W-40.

Couldn't have asked for better results for a 5800 mile run. TBN was still 4.8 or something. I tell ya, RTS 5W-40 is HARD to beat.

EDIT:

Scratch that. It was 6800 miles. Here's the link:
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1706085&gonew=1#UNREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back