What oil for 1968 Jag XKE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with a 1968 XKE. He is getting ready to change the oil before winter storage. He has had a local shop with Jaguar experience change the oil before. He does not know what they put in it. We talked about BITOG today at lunch, and he asked if I'd help him change it himself. He's thinking a Castrol product because of its British origin.

Rather than just throwing some Edge at it, I told him I would post a query on BITOG.

What say BITOG???

Hi,
Spartanfool - For many years Castrol recommended a 15W-50 semi synthetic or a 20W-50 mineral lubricanst. An English "Motor" road test book I have from that era suggests a 20W-50 lubricant

That's what I would use - the Brand matters little!

Had an E type for a while and maintained it for the previous owner before it was mine. Always used 20W-50. As far as I know, it's still running. These days I'd probably stick to synthetic.

A friend locally rebuilds old Jags, engines and bodies. Recently I did some Alum welding on a 6cyl head that had been pitted badly. If you want I can check with him on what he puts in them.

Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend locally rebuilds old Jags, engines and bodies. Recently I did some Alum welding on a 6cyl head that had been pitted badly. If you want I can check with him on what he puts in them.

I'd love to hear what he uses.

I'm now thinking about Syntec 20w50 with an extra bottle of STP 4 Cylinder Treatment (for ZDDP) I have on the shelf.

I have a 73 XKE V12 Jag and I use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in mine. But I do not have any over heating problems like some Jags.

40ford

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
Originally Posted By: tig1

I'd love to hear what he uses.

I'm now thinking about Syntec 20w50 with an extra bottle of STP 4 Cylinder Treatment (for ZDDP) I have on the shelf.

I just talked to my friend and he puts dino 20-50 in older 6 and V12s. If he rebuilds either of the engines he puts 10-40 in after the rebuild.

Hi,
Spartanfool - It may be best if you sought another use for the STP. The lubricant you suggest will do just fine. Excessive ZDDP can cause "additive clash" - at the worst it may even cause excessive wear!

Last edited:
My dad used to use QS Deluxe 10W-40 in the summer, and QS SuperBlend 10W-30 in the winter in his '71 XKE 4.2L (Pennsyvania). I don't remember any oil burning or leaks. But the body was very rust prone from the salt on the roads in the winter. The ABARTH exhaust was very prone to cracking, especially when I would drive it over speed bumps while cruising the local drive-in restaurants for chicks!

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I would use Brad-Penn 'Penngrade 1" 20W-50 oil in that Jag. Good additive levels in that oil.

if this is for winter storage, I would use the cheapest dino Xw40 oil I could find.

Once he goes to take the car out for the spring/summer season, I would put a high quality synthetic like M1 15w40 or Rotella 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back