What oil filters do truckers use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are some truckers out there who can answer this.Are Fleetguard oil filters the common filter among 18 wheeler and dump truck operators?

Donaldson, Baldwin, CAT and Fleetguard are most common.

I once made a sales call at an oilfield trucking company, and on top of their purchaser's filing cabinet were one of each company's filters for the CAT C15 cut open.

I'd say by far the OEM filter looked the best.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir

I once made a sales call at an oilfield trucking company, and on top of their purchaser's filing cabinet were one of each company's filters for the CAT C15 cut open.

I've heard the CAT filters are NUTS. But cross-referencing them is a task in itself......

Cat filters are made in Illinois by a joint venture between CAT and Donaldson.

Since Cummins is Fleetguard, if a truck has a Cummins engine, it might stick with Fleetguard. A lot of the Volvos that get shipped down here come with Donaldson.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: MGregoir

I've heard the CAT filters are NUTS. But cross-referencing them is a task in itself......

This is true. I have a heck of a time with the CAT numbers that I see salvage on ebay. My x'ref resource of last resort, FilterMart.com, restricted access to their web site for some odd reason.

I worked as a mechanic in this business for just about 5 years. Used fleetguards on most cummins, they are built by cummins. used cats on cats and detroit baldwin or luberfiner on detroits. have used baldwin luberfiner on other engines as well. the best by far is fleetguard. seeing as how the new isx engines from cummins need to stop material down to like 3 or 5 microns or crank journal damage can occur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back