What oil filter is the better one to use?

Hello,

I'm looking to change oil in my 2004 volvo xc70, i just recently bought it and its getting about time. I've been running gas treatment since it was pretty bad, and so my oil has been getting dirter then normal. So i'm hoping to get a good oil filter and put some proper syntheic oil in it. I'm hoping to put castrol edge 5-30 in it since its up to volvos standards. I got a couple different filters but can't find beta ratings on many of them, hoping y'all could help. I got 4 in mind.

WIX 57021XP
MOBIL M1C152A
FRAM XG8712
NAPA NGF 7021

I've heard the wix xp filters have low filter ratings at below 20 microns, mobil 1 seems to be really good, people have mixed feelings on fram, i've never personally liked them. and napa gold seems to be everyones favorite. Whats your thoughts?

I've used Wix XP and Fram XG filters and they both work well.

I've heard the Napa filters are made by wix. Not sure who makes the Mobil 1 filters now but I think Champion labs did at one time.

They're all good filters and anyone of them would work well for you.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm looking to change oil in my 2004 volvo xc70, i just recently bought it and its getting about time. I've been running gas treatment since it was pretty bad, and so my oil has been getting dirter then normal. So i'm hoping to get a good oil filter and put some proper syntheic oil in it. I'm hoping to put castrol edge 5-30 in it since its up to volvos standards. I got a couple different filters but can't find beta ratings on many of them, hoping y'all could help. I got 4 in mind.

WIX 57021XP
MOBIL M1C152A
FRAM XG8712
NAPA NGF 7021

I've heard the wix xp filters have low filter ratings at below 20 microns, mobil 1 seems to be really good, people have mixed feelings on fram, i've never personally liked them. and napa gold seems to be everyones favorite. Whats your thoughts?
Any reason you didn’t list the OEM filter? I try to run them on my stuff when they’re reasonable and readily available.

Just my $0.02

Hello,

WIX 57021XP
MOBIL M1C152A
FRAM XG8712
NAPA NGF 7021

None of the above.

Mann
Mahle
Volvo OEM

shop here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/

Or here: https://www.ipdusa.com/

Any reason you didn’t list the OEM filter? I try to run them on my stuff when they’re reasonable and readily available.

Just my $0.02
The closest dealership is about 3 hours away, and i can't seem to find anywhere that ships within canada.

Canadian tire has Motomaster OE Plus filters on sale right now, they're good filters.

I’m in Ontario and Carquest premium filters (Blue and white can) are a pretty good price and are either the same or close to Purolator ONE level of efficiency/filtration.

Would volvo oem have the best filtration?
If you want better filtration, the the Ultra or Mobil 1 in your original list would probably be better. OEM filters are typically not very efficient.

Filtration wouldn’t be my concern with that car.

I would be concerned about proper oil spec (ACEA A3/B4) and PCV (AKA Flame Trap) function.

When shipping and other costs are considered, particularly in Canada, you might discover that an OEM filter makes the most sense.

Get to know your local dealer parts folks. Mine regularly give me a discount.

Hello,

WIX 57021XP
MOBIL M1C152A
FRAM XG8712
NAPA NGF 7021

Any of them will be fine. The small difference in efficiency isn't going to have anything to do with your engine's longevity.

✓ post 17. They may all be made by same co (just different paint on outside).

I use Mann on them. Here by the case (an owner could do the same even easier as it's just 1 model).
There wuz justa consolidation and even fewer manufacturers (4 world wide? - I mean in volume, there may B dozens of smaller co.s no 1 sees).
Some of us cut them open (new engine assembled, curiosity, planned big buys).
You could narrow them down, do so w/a few. Pick by need. My personal car needs an anti-drain back so I narrow choices there, etc

"...differences than just the paint..."
yes, by "those 4 companies". But lots of "same - ness" w/in those companies' line (but not between lines ie good, better, best).
Not sure I am using my wrds right. But think U get what I mean.

My major problem w/the filters is - keepin it straight who makes what 'label'. Also they
(co.s) change hands a bit so makes it tough to keep up.

Back